The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 bites!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex Posted - 26/07/2011 : 20:53:13
hi all so ive had monty a while now and so far he has not bitten me or struck at me, even during his messy shed lol! so was just wondering how many of you have been bitten? im not scared just interested as certain posts on hear make royals sound as if they are angry snakes that bite all the time!. Just wondering what the chance of getting bitten are providing you only handle with clean hands etc.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 27/07/2011 : 22:30:16
i havent been bit by a royal , but not bit by a boa when i went to view a few , it was more shock as it happened really quick. it was kinda like when u have that flower test before a tb jab , sharp and stung but doesnt really hurt .
alex Posted - 27/07/2011 : 21:28:12
god dont think i will watch that! only recently got confident with my snake as it is lol!
acd1984 Posted - 27/07/2011 : 21:06:49
i saw that same video, it is weird how the snake casually bites him.
Jayde Posted - 27/07/2011 : 20:31:40
A little irrelevant, but I was trawling through some random royal videos on you tube the other day and came across a guy giving a tour of his snakes, and he'd taken on a snake that had only ever been fed live prey (in america of course).
The snake was calm and collected and was quite curious while being held. the next thing you saw, was the snake going round on it's self to go down it's body, and it opened it's mouth and just clung on to this guys knuckle. NO strike, no aggression, no odd behaviour, just casually bit into him! The video then goes on for another 2 mins with the guy remaining calm thinking it will release, but it gets stronger and begins to constrict his hand! Then you hear him blurt out.. Turn off the damn camera.
He then puts up a video of the aftermath, and jebus is his knuckle and top of hand swollen and very very sore looking!! His hand was a little shakey, which he said was down to the blood suddenly rushing back into his fingers! He said it took 25 mins for the snake to loose interest as it wouldn't let go for love nor money, and that was with his partner trying to ease the teeth out and other methods.

Was the pure casual approach this royal took that astounded me!!
alex Posted - 27/07/2011 : 20:30:59
thanks for your stories everyone. I certainly wont be trying to get bit if i can help it lol! like i said havent been bitten yet, some times if i move to quick monty will go into a s shape but i gues this is just the nature of royals and not agression.
acd1984 Posted - 27/07/2011 : 12:27:20
That guy off of snakebytesTV says the listerine mouth wash is perfect for getting a determined snake off you instantly.

Dam it would sting though!
markmifsud Posted - 27/07/2011 : 09:41:40
I had a feeding response bite from my big girl, and yes it hurt, She wouldnt let go of my thumb so I took her to the kitchen and ran the cold water over her face, then slowly unwound her from my arm, once she was off my arm she decided perhaps I wasnt the rat she once thought I was and she let go.

It was my fault, she was blue so eye sight was poorer than normal, she had already eaten, and was back in the viv, I offered her a second rat by reaching into the viv.
acd1984 Posted - 27/07/2011 : 00:37:26
I have been tagged once, it drew blood but didnt hurt too much, it was like a bee sting but WITHOUT the long lasting after pain.

It was my feelings that were hurt more

It was my own fault, as i moved my hand from behind my leg and startled him i think, now i only move slowly lol

As for helping with fears, it did help me if im honest. i couldnt pick him out of his rub before and now im fine. but that might be different for other people

quote:
lotabob -
The good thing is by the time you realise whats happened its over, so really you've nothing to worry about
So true
Lotabob Posted - 26/07/2011 : 22:26:56
Royals are so very very placid its very unusual to get bitten. I have only had one near miss and it was totally my fault, Duke was on top of the vivarium and I had my head inside there like you do fixing probe positions, Duke looked down to see what was going on as I moved my face right towards him, he recoiled and struck right at my face, I hadn't thought about where he would be and I scared him, he just did what come instinctively when threatened. Thats the key though, THREATENED!

The good thing is by the time you realise whats happened its over, so really you've nothing to worry about.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 26/07/2011 : 22:12:09
I got bitten once was sorting out the bedding
And the hides entrance was direct to my hand and bam a little tag from the pinstripe

He only got one tooth in it
And it drew blood

That will teach me lol little bugger
n/a Posted - 26/07/2011 : 22:10:07
Yes, I've heard of that before - the idea of deliberately getting bitten in order to overcome the fear. I agree with Jayde - that is NOT good for the snake at all.

If a snake is showing aggression, especially in its viv or wherever, say over water changing or if you want to handle it, I think it is better to pick that snake up than let it think it can successfully defend its viv (ie you're taking the wind out of its sails.) Though I would not recommend doing this on feeding day. Then act with caution, even with a placid snake.

And use feeding tongs.
Jayde Posted - 26/07/2011 : 21:42:54
've been bitten once by Heques. I was changing his water and smoothing his substrate back out from where he'd been laying behind his bowl. At the time he was on the other side of the viv, chilling out behind his cocoa planter. I wasn't even paying attention to him as he doesn't even turn his head to you most of the time when you go into the viv. I think I spooked him by being a little too bustly in his home. The only think I can describe it as was like a stinging nettle / thistle sting. Was about the size of a staple, and had 2 tiny drips of blood. Probably less than if a staple had been in my finger!! It's more the shock that gave me an adrenaline rush!!

I think (and disagree) with encouraging a snake to bite you "to get over the fear, get it out of the way or whatever bull crap reason you put behind it, it's like someone coming into your house and provoking you to punch them in the nose. The build up of stress and anger and then feeling tense when they come back is not something you want to go through.
If you are being responsible and sensible with your hand washing, and trying to be as least disruptive in their environment as you can,trying to keep swift movement and ridiculous behaviour minimal while handling and general tasks like this, then the chances are pretty damn slim!
anatess Posted - 26/07/2011 : 21:14:17
quote:
Originally posted by alex

hi all so ive had monty a while now and so far he has not bitten me or struck at me, even during his messy shed lol! so was just wondering how many of you have been bitten? im not scared just interested as certain posts on hear make royals sound as if they are angry snakes that bite all the time!. Just wondering what the chance of getting bitten are providing you only handle with clean hands etc.

I've only gotten bit once ever - by a newly hatched royal. It didn't hurt (it's just like getting a pinch - the baby teeth didn't even go through the skin). Those buggers are feisty when they first come out of their shell!

My son got bit by our sub-adult royal - crazy kid put the royal on the couch and jumped on the couch yelling at a game on TV, the royal got quite a scare - my kid realized his mistake and tried to pick up the snake and got tagged on the finger. It was so quick (tag and release) that you see 2 dots on his finger but the blood didn't ooze out.

My husband got bit by our royal who was maternally incubating at the time. Our super sweet royal turned into monster-mamma-royal when she brooded her eggs. Now that one bled out.
n/a Posted - 26/07/2011 : 21:13:01
Wow - I reckon royals are the un-bitiest snakes around!

There are exceptions to the rule of course but I reckon that the best way to get bitten by a royal would be as follows:-

Feed a rodent, holding it with your fingers, even by the tail. The royal will smell the rat - BUT, the main guide a royal has to direct it to prey is the heat pits below its nostrils - despite the ratty scent, the royal strike will land on the warmest spot, which is more likely to be your hand than the rat.

Feed a rodent, see the snake struggling and go in there to help ...

I've done both ... And been bitten, and it tickled. Well,once, when Shahi was older, he nicked me, but it was my own fault.

Clean hands don't count if the royal is in feeding mode, or, very rarely, aggressive.

I have an aggressive snake (a gopher, not a royal) and I would say that, if you do encounter a snake showing aggression, go straight in and pick it up. It may bite, but more often than not it will resign itself to its fate and come quietly. Confidence counts for a lot. The only time Ziska, the gopher, has drawn blood, was when I forgot she might be around and moved her driftwood - ouch! I was lifting the wood as she struck and caught. Again my fault.

This is just my experience - Ziska is very young and I've never handled anything really large and bitey.

Kelfezond has a good handling video over on the video section. Hope this helps - sorry if I've overlapped with anyone else.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000