The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Things could not be better!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 27/07/2011 : 13:26:08
Well finally things are looking up for my two royals Kaa and Donkey :D

After Kaa's long fast of 7 months he's been eating non stop for 7 weeks now and he's even been on rats for the last 2 weeks! He's feeding extremely well, it used to take me about 20 minutes to get him to strike, but now he strikes within atleast 10 seconds of the prey being introduced into the viv. Last night he even took the tongs as well as the rat I think he needs to go up a prey size, he's on Rat pups/fluffs and he weighs around 300gms, he seems to be really hungry after a few days of feeding so i might feed every 5 days so I can use up the rats I have left, then go up a size

And Donkey! He's was on a fast for 8 months and last week after 30 minutes of persuasion I finally got Donkey to strike and constrict a gerbil! Scary night that was though..
Once Donkey had struck and was constricting I called my dad up because he'd never seen a snake eat before. So he came upstairs and was sitting infront of the viv, with the viv door open. Donkey struck at the gerbils side and not the head, so was having some difficulty eating. So when he let go of the gerbil to re-arrange himself, he struck 3 times at my dads leg with his head sticking out the viv! But once i'd guided donkey back into the viv he ate perfectly fine I know he struck at my dad because he was defending his food and probably felt vulnerable because he was exposed and being watched so I felt really bad doing that when it was his first feed in months, bet hey, we all learn from our mistakes lol

Overall, i'm a very happy bunny!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhk2005 Posted - 27/07/2011 : 17:10:42
Aww that's great news samantha, congratulations!! and defo agree with you Bats, I have to heat the rat first or guaranteed they either miss completely or they strike at me (cos i'm warmer than the rat?) ; i keep a spare heat bulb in a desk lamp as a handy heater just to help 'em stay on target :)
n/a Posted - 27/07/2011 : 15:31:09
LOL - yes, was rather like that comedy sketch where the lovers run towards each other with arms outstretched and overshoot each other ...luckily he didn't get as far as the guard and bang his nose, but it was a perfect example of how powerful the heat pits are.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 27/07/2011 : 14:53:08
Thanks guys

Oooh yeah I never thought of that BATS! I just thought it was defensiveness because when he had to let go of his food he just lunged out of the viv trying to bite my dads leg, luckily my dad didnt get bit though, I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw it! Donkey is a really gentle quiet snake and to see him lunge out of the viv like that was quite shocking haha

The infra-red?! I can imagine that being quite amusing lmao
n/a Posted - 27/07/2011 : 13:56:25
And congrats! That's great!

It could be that Donkey struck at your Dad's leg because his heat pits sensed the warmth of your dad's body nearby - I've seen a snake strike at the rat and zoom straight past it towards the infra-red. But he got there in the end!
Laws Posted - 27/07/2011 : 13:35:00
congRATS! glad things are going well for u and the lil guys! nothing more satisfying than when they are eating well and have full bellies :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000