The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help Sexing my Royals!(SE London/Croydon)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
macquirie Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:18:15

Hi,

Can anyone help me please? I'd like to find out the sex of my newly acquired Royals. Monty was bought as a Male Het Albino, But its Medusa I'd really like to find out about as she was a rescue snake and nothing is known about her. I've never Sexed a Snake before and was wondering if anyone local to Croydon would be kind enough to help me.

Warmest Wishes,

John
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
macquirie Posted - 07/08/2011 : 16:49:40
Have contacted a couple of local vets,they knew how to, but none of them had actually done it! one of them recommended another vet, but he wasn't there when I rang so I've left my details, see what happens.

Warmest Wishes,

John
macquirie Posted - 04/08/2011 : 23:05:38

I think thats the only way to go, I'll make some enquiries tomorrow, Unless anyone can reccomend one?

Warmest Wishes,

John
boomslang Posted - 04/08/2011 : 22:22:22
What about a local reptile vet?only downside to that being price,Might be alot higher.
macquirie Posted - 04/08/2011 : 21:09:28

Thanks for that Del, However I won't be going back to CPR. I could forgive once, maybe twice, but it has happened on EVERY occasion I have visited!! Therefore I will vote with my feet and go elsewhere, like others have done. HOWEVER, I'm still in a pickle over sexing and would really appreciate any offers of practical help!!! Thanks in advance,

Warmest Wishes,

John
Evolution Morphs Posted - 04/08/2011 : 20:58:31
If you ring CPR and ask for Dean he will be more than helpful when we went there the bloke has loads of time for us
We was buying a royal tho ;)

We asked to see the £17000 royal even tho he knew we were not going to buy something of that value
He was like yea and brought it out
was very nice :) indeed
mystra Posted - 04/08/2011 : 20:52:02
of course,

32 The Village
Charlton
London
SE7 8UD

TEL:020 8856 1066

http://www.charltonreptiles.co.uk/

hopefully they can help you out! :)
macquirie Posted - 04/08/2011 : 15:11:20

Mystra, do you know the address please? I know the Greenwich/Charlton area quite well as I used to be the Agent and Constituency Manager for the former MP Rosie Barnes.

Warmest Wishes,

John
mystra Posted - 04/08/2011 : 15:03:55
quote:
Originally posted by macquirie

Hi Mystra,

I have been into Crystal Palace Reptiles quite a number of times as I live quite close, But every time I go in there I always find them to be very offhand, on one occasion the Chap behind the counter could hardly tear himself away from his book and barely spoke two words to me despite my trying to strike up a conversation. Several other people have mentioned to me that they have also had that experience, So I'd be VERY reluctant to ask, in fact I'm looking for somewhere else to buy my supplies.

Warmest Wishes,

John

ah fair does - their loss! they aren't the one i really use... i go to Charlton Reptiles more but that prob a bit further out your way. I've only ever been in to CPR for a nosey... other half went once to get mice and found them helpful enough (he doesn't know what he's looking for lol) but i know what you mean it's not nice to feel unwelcome in a shop! if you can get to Charlton i promise you they are lovely! i think they do probing - not sure :/ i think they mentioned it once when i bought a yearling corn there, they said i'd have to wait til it was older to be probed, so i assume they do!
macquirie Posted - 04/08/2011 : 14:50:24
Hi Mystra,

I have been into Crystal Palace Reptiles quite a number of times as I live quite close, But every time I go in there I always find them to be very offhand, on one occasion the Chap behind the counter could hardly tear himself away from his book and barely spoke two words to me despite my trying to strike up a conversation. Several other people have mentioned to me that they have also had that experience, So I'd be VERY reluctant to ask, in fact I'm looking for somewhere else to buy my supplies.

Warmest Wishes,

John
mystra Posted - 04/08/2011 : 12:02:44
quote:

Yeah, I don't mind paying, its just finding somewhere decent locally, I have asked in a couple to no avail. Oh well I'll just keep trying.

Many Thanks for the replies, Very much appreciated

Warmest Wishes,

John

Have you tried Crystal Palace reptiles? they have a really good reputation, and its a great shop.. i don't know if they do sexing but they probably do as they are really into their own royals breeding projects etc...maybe give them a bell :)

Crystal Palace Reptiles 54 Westow Street
Upper Norwood
London
SE19 3AF

Telephone: 020 8771 1349
Email: Darren@CrystalPalaceReptiles.com

http://www.crystalpalacereptiles.com/

Hope this helps :D
boomslang Posted - 04/08/2011 : 02:32:46
quote:

Yeah, I don't mind paying, its just finding somewhere decent locally, I have asked in a couple to no avail. Oh well I'll just keep trying.

Warmest Wishes,

John

Np anytime,hope you find someone that can do it for ya.
macquirie Posted - 04/08/2011 : 02:24:52

Warmest Wishes,

John
n/a Posted - 04/08/2011 : 00:15:36
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:
A vet can do this but also good rep shops will be able to do it for a small fee.
Yeah like £5,Just be careful where you take it.Alot of places claim to sex snakes,but then i've been to alot of stores.where i wouldn't let them touch my snakes lol.

Yup - that's why I said GOOD rep shops - no urgency re Medusa's sexing so take your time to choose a decent shop.
boomslang Posted - 03/08/2011 : 23:46:36
quote:
A vet can do this but also good rep shops will be able to do it for a small fee.
Yeah like £5,Just be careful where you take it.Alot of places claim to sex snakes,but then i've been to alot of stores.where i wouldn't let them touch my snakes lol.

macquirie Posted - 03/08/2011 : 23:32:48
Thanks BATS!! I've previously read HOW its done, I've even seen videos (OUCH!!) and I'd really like to get Medusa Probed to end any Doubt as to 'her' sex!!

So, Any Offers from Croydon/SE London Snakies Please!!
Many Thanks in Advance!!

Warmest Wishes,

John
n/a Posted - 03/08/2011 : 22:54:33
Hi, John, probing is the most accurate way of sexing adult snakes and needs to be done by an expert. A vet can do this but also good rep shops will be able to do it for a small fee. I've been present while some of my corns have been probed and it causes little discomfort to the snake - think it brings tears to the owner's eyes more readily lol. (A tiny 'probe' is inserted gently into the snake's vent - the distance it will go in is indicative of the snake's gender.)

However, with royals, a rough guide can be the spurs either side of the vent. Usually in females these are like small buds; the male's spurs (vestigial legs left over from when the royal was once a lizard) are larger and may be curved. During courtship the lad uses these to excite the female; they will actually move up and down and stroke her.

However the size of spurs can't always be predicted, alas - probing is the most accurate way. Hope this helps.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000