The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Which Thermostat?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tylersmatrix Posted - 05/08/2011 : 10:00:25
Hi All,

I have had the green light to get myself my first royal python and have spent a lot of time researching them in readiness. I will probably get him/her within the next couple of months so i can get my holiday out the way. I am planning on getting all of the equipment for his rub in the meantime so everything is set up ready for the purchase date. My only querey is which thermostat to get. I am planning on getting a hatchling so i understand i will need a heat mat- is there a thermostat that will suit both the heat mat and also the bulb when he/ she is moved into a viv.

I have been looking at getting the lucky reptile thermo control 2 pro as i understand it can be set for the change of temperature required for during the night. Would this be suitable? Also is this stat for a cermaic or IR bulb? What do other people use for their royals and the change of temperature required for during the night? IS it just a manual adjustment before bedtime?

Sorry for all the questions it's the only part i haven't really understood yet with royal keeping. FYI i currently have a corn so its fairly easy sailing with regards to heating.

Thanks in advance
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boomslang Posted - 07/08/2011 : 00:08:31
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyTurtle

quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

HAHA iknow,im just messing with ya.I purchased the Microclimate mat stat,as it is cheaper

I need two more stats anyway,so will go with Microclimate ones.Anyway everywhere is cheaper then shops,my local wanted £65 for a Habistat pulse stat.I purchased bedding,plants,new hides etc.which where all like £2 more expensive.which i wasn't to bothered about,then "boom" £65 for a stat lol.

So he knew your name off the forum? lol.

No i was paying the bill,then i nearly fainted when they scanned the stat.At which point,I told them to keep it.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 07/08/2011 : 00:06:39
Please read this

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6501

SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 23:49:43
quote:

HAHA iknow,im just messing with ya.I purchased the Microclimate mat stat,as it is cheaper

I need two more stats anyway,so will go with Microclimate ones.Anyway everywhere is cheaper then shops,my local wanted £65 for a Habistat pulse stat.I purchased bedding,plants,new hides etc.which where all like £2 more expensive.which i wasn't to bothered about,then "boom" £65 for a stat lol.

So he knew your name off the forum? lol.

boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:33:32
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

I got a pulse stat for £64.99 for sale let me know lol
I can always replace it with two ;)

haha i never bought it from them in the end
Evolution Morphs Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:18:35
I got a pulse stat for £64.99 for sale let me know lol
I can always replace it with two ;)
boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:13:42

SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:00:59
quote:

quote:
They're way better
,Agree there.

quote:
and much cheaper
No there not lol

quote:
so I win

NO NEVER

Ahem.... you appear to have said they weren't cheaper here, now you're claiming you said there were!

Anyway, Yes I got a MC DL1ME (RRP £70 I think) for £42 from Swell.

I then bought a DL2 for £31.

Both were cheaper than Surrey, and both are now out of stock
boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 21:07:01
quote:
I could go on because every example Microclimate come out cheapest, but this was just using Surrey Pets. I could shop around and save more, like I did getting my DL2 from Swell Reptiles for £31 not £39 at Surrey Pets
Yeah,i told you the Microclimate stats are cheaper

Swell Reptiles are cheaper again you say?
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 11:49:32

Ok, here's my crushing final blow to your argument.

Let's use YOUR favourite shop to begin with, and compare like with like:

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-pulse-proportional-thermostat.html

or equivalent Microclimate model

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/microclimate-b2-pulse-proportional-stat-600w.html

Saved £2.72

Now let's go for some sort of Day/Night set up with a Pulser...

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-pulse-proportional-thermostat-day-night.html

Oops, forgot I need this as well (unless I want to buy a timer and do it manually of course)

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-night-eye.html

Total: £59.94 for a fully functioning Day/Night Pulse Propo!

Or I could get this:

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/microclimate-b2me-pulse-stat-magic-eye.html

Wow £36.05 for exactly the same thing!

Saving this time: £23.89 ..or enough electricity to run your 100w ceramic for a YEAR!
That's before I even LOOK at the models with computer control which Habistat have nothing to compete with...

I could go on because every example Microclimate come out cheapest, but this was just using Surrey Pets. I could shop around and save more, like I did getting my DL2 from Swell Reptiles for £31 not £39 at Surrey Pets

Do you concede to my superior products yet Mr Balboa, or are you gonna spring back off the ropes in one last desperate glory bid??
boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 04:40:00
quote:
They're way better
,Agree there.

quote:
and much cheaper
No there not lol

quote:
so I win

NO NEVER
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 03:19:41
quote:

quote:

Ok ROCKY, when it comes to mat-stats, buy either, whichever's cheapest. High end pulse and dimmers, Microclimate are streets ahead, seriously!

Using Habistat for pulse or dimmer is a bit like choosing a well proven mangle to dry your clothes, whereas the Microclimate is a modern gas tumble dryer, what's not to like?

The price LOL Just went to check them out.some websites are lazy,copy and paste the same info for each stat..anyway looked on Microclimate website,and yes the pulse and dimmer are miles ahead.

three different sequences of flashes and beeps : Low temperature, high temperature and heater failure.so theres an alarm for each..heater failure yeah cool,Low temperature,high temperature,if the stats soo amazing how would you get high temps? and how would you get low temps?unless you left the door open.or the heater failed,which it has an alarm for anyway.

If you were using two different sources of heat, maybe an AHS and a bulb or mat, and one of the stats picked up a drop, it would alert you to that problem, or if some pillock had an un-statted mat under the hot end, and a bulb/ceramic on the stat, it would pick up if the COMBINED temp was getting too high (despite cutting power to Mr Ceramic, ya dig?).

Anyhooha. They're way better, and much cheaper, so I win
boomslang Posted - 05/08/2011 : 23:48:36
quote:

Ok ROCKY, when it comes to mat-stats, buy either, whichever's cheapest. High end pulse and dimmers, Microclimate are streets ahead, seriously!

Using Habistat for pulse or dimmer is a bit like choosing a well proven mangle to dry your clothes, whereas the Microclimate is a modern gas tumble dryer, what's not to like?

The price LOL Just went to check them out.some websites are lazy,copy and paste the same info for each stat..anyway looked on Microclimate website,and yes the pulse and dimmer are miles ahead.

three different sequences of flashes and beeps : Low temperature, high temperature and heater failure.so theres an alarm for each..heater failure yeah cool,Low temperature,high temperature,if the stats soo amazing how would you get high temps? and how would you get low temps?unless you left the door open.or the heater failed,which it has an alarm for anyway.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 05/08/2011 : 23:34:28

boomslang Posted - 05/08/2011 : 23:27:48
Microclimate=No funky dial lol My only Microclimate is the mat stat.So simple on/off.

quote:
feature for feature" they are cheaper.
Which is cheaper? the mat stats are choice,where both brands are simple...others are £15 more expensive.

SaltyTurtle Posted - 05/08/2011 : 23:01:45
quote:

quote:
Wrapping this up quickly, they are also, feature for feature cheaper than Habistat since the 'ME' models feature a built in Magic Eye daylight sensor (adjustable too) which can trigger a 0 - 10oC temperature drop at night, to create a more natural replication of wild conditions. The Day/Night sensor for the Habistat is an extra £20-30....

It's up to you, most on here seem to favour the Habi's just like people always say Volkswagens are good, but then there's a few people, like me who have found out that say, Skoda make some damn good cars, for less cash...
Fought he was using a heat mat?

Anyway,i have all my mats on Habistat mat stats,apart from one on a microclimate stat.Theres like £1 price difference,So really upto you.

I find habistat stats,Keep the temps within range more,all my other lamps,fans,whatever use habistat.

"feature for feature" they are cheaper..and habistat have no computer controlled models, hence why they have no alarm features: old clunker tech doesn't support it. As for keeping temps well, I have two ~Microclimate~ stats, a DL1ME dimmer, and a DL2 pulse proportionate. BOTH keep temps to within half a degree once calibrated (to the actual digital thermometer)
boomslang Posted - 05/08/2011 : 22:08:36
quote:
Wrapping this up quickly, they are also, feature for feature cheaper than Habistat since the 'ME' models feature a built in Magic Eye daylight sensor (adjustable too) which can trigger a 0 - 10oC temperature drop at night, to create a more natural replication of wild conditions. The Day/Night sensor for the Habistat is an extra £20-30....

It's up to you, most on here seem to favour the Habi's just like people always say Volkswagens are good, but then there's a few people, like me who have found out that say, Skoda make some damn good cars, for less cash...
Fought he was using a heat mat?

Anyway,i have all my mats on Habistat mat stats,apart from one on a microclimate stat.Theres like £1 price difference,So really upto you.

I find habistat stats,Keep the temps within range more,all my other lamps,fans,whatever use habistat.
Tylersmatrix Posted - 05/08/2011 : 21:59:05
I have looked at the microclimate dimmers and they seem really good value for money. I have already decided not to buy the stats from my local shops but i am trying to look around for somewhere to get a hatchling from. Im in the darlington area and have spent quite a lot of time trawling through internet sites with little luck. Also what are the thoughts on CF's instead of CB's? I know majority of corns are now CB but it seems royals are more CF is that right? My local shop currently has some CF hatchlings in stock for around the £90 mark for normals.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 05/08/2011 : 20:57:07
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

I bet any money a local reptile shop will want £60+ for a dimming stat

Best off ordering from Surrey pets £36 I think and delivery is £3.99 I always order lots of other stuff to balance the postage out
That's the only place I order my rep stuff from

I'm quite amazed on how many use dimming ones really they have a min load of 40watts and you will have to buy a big heat mat if that's what's going to be used
Unless there running light bulbs I use them on the dragon and there spot on
But use pulse stats fir my mats and find them ideal

I agree, small shops do charge RRP or thereabouts for stuff you can get cheaper elsewhere. Surrey Pets or Swell Reptiles seem the cheapest on Thermostats. I order form Swell because 'they're swell' *groan*..

Swell also price match if they can, and the 'competitor' is real and research-able, not some made up nonsense, e.g "My Uncle Jamal does the Microclimate DL1ME for a tenner, innit".. so strike a hard bargain, also next day delivery if you order before 2pm (except my vivarium which comes direct from manufacturer and took 2 days)

On the subject of dimmers: Being a huge nerd I researched this a lot.

Yes. Habistat DIMMERS require a minimum load of 40w, making them pretty useless for heat mats that aren't more like hot plates from a restaurant.

Microclimate Dimmers CLAIM to have a minimum load of 5w, but having spoken to one of their technical engineers on the phone for about an hour (really!) he explained that basically they can drop the 'dim' down to zero watts. Due to the circuitry which incorporates a device to prevent interference with radio signals etc (like your living room dimmer switches will also have) there is a minimal draw of perhaps 0.1w to power this (about a penny a year to run then)

Pulse proportionate stats from both Habistat and Microclimate have the same load range (0w - 600w) and do the same job.

However, if you opt for any of the Microclimate DL models, they are controlled by a more sophisticated microprocessor, so it's like the difference between an old thermostat on the landing wall when you were a kid, and the sort of digital, hi-tech unit we have today. More accurate, more features. Such as: the Alarm Feature is very useful as
a red light flashes and a beep is emitted when you have either TOO LOW/TOO HOT/ or HEATER FAILURE

Just another peace of mind added feature so you don't sit watching 'Come Dine With Me' whilst cooking your snake (sounds rude!)

( I drive an Audi, so not the best example. Meh!)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 05/08/2011 : 20:34:15
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

TAPE + SNAKE = PROBLEMS

I wouldn't use any tape anywhere near a snake. There are other safer ways to secure things. Tape can trap smaller snakes, rip skin or just be a right pain in the backside to remove.

That's what I was just gonna say.
Lotabob Posted - 05/08/2011 : 20:16:00
TAPE + SNAKE = PROBLEMS

I wouldn't use any tape anywhere near a snake. There are other safer ways to secure things. Tape can trap smaller snakes, rip skin or just be a right pain in the backside to remove.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000