The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Percy's Palace - at last

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:28:43
As requested by 'Boomer' my old mucker...

Some pictures of the long awaited Percy Palace.

(Amazing what a few hundred quid can do to an old fish tank!)

For the eagle eyed, temps are down a few degrees on the thermometer due to me having the glass doors off for 5 minutes, doh.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 10/08/2011 : 23:40:43
Well Bob, thanks for pointing that out, but I've siliconed over the cams as they're actually called, and turned the vents round. Piece of p***.
Lotabob Posted - 10/08/2011 : 23:12:26
I think rather than a design flaw the back is on the wrong way round, those metal twisty tighty things (its official that what they are called) are supposed to be at the back on the outside so snake noses dont get scratched, that way the vents are in the right way round.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 10/08/2011 : 23:07:04
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

Just a quick question/note: i notice its a vivexotic, i have a 3' one,

Is the vent sealed? if not it might be worth taking it out and pushing it in from the inside, cause they are easy to push open and snakey might do a penn and teller on ya and dissappear lol

Thanks for the tip skipper,

Will be onto that when I'm next on leave!

To be honest I doubt he's be strong enough yet, but worth noting. Has anyone ever told VivExotic about this design flaw?
SaltyTurtle Posted - 10/08/2011 : 23:04:15
quote:
Originally posted by Jayde

Nice little place he's got there :) What are the LED's you're running? Definitely liking those! Been after some decent ones for the corn's

Hi Jayde,

I found these at Maplins in Hereford, where I sort of work.

It was in the reduced section down from £15 to £6.

Runs on an AA battery and can be angled to your preferred dangle.

Only downside is, it goes through 3 settings via the button on the end. 1st is 100% power (about 18 matches lit), 2nd is 50% power (9 matches lit?) then there's the 3rd and final which is Dexies Midnight Runners flashing disco mode, which totally ruins the David Attenborough moment. Trick is, when on mode 2, just do a quick double tap on the button and it's lights out, Goodnight Irene, not Come on Eileen!
Jayde Posted - 08/08/2011 : 21:27:56
Nice little place he's got there :) What are the LED's you're running? Definitely liking those! Been after some decent ones for the corn's
boomslang Posted - 08/08/2011 : 15:17:36
quote:
Very nice set up, but I can't see a hole for the air flow, where it is ?!
Its the little grey slots on the back.
acd1984 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 09:08:56
Just a quick question/note: i notice its a vivexotic, i have a 3' one,

Is the vent sealed? if not it might be worth taking it out and pushing it in from the inside, cause they are easy to push open and snakey might do a penn and teller on ya and dissappear lol
Tawfik47 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 08:51:29
Very nice set up, but I can't see a hole for the air flow, where it is ?!
boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 23:48:26
No - in fact they can swim underwater for long periods
I have never heard of a snake drowning before but it may occur rarely as they breath air still..
n/a Posted - 06/08/2011 : 23:30:15
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyTurtle

Ok thanks, I'll refer Axa Home insurance to your post when my house is reduced to charcoal

P.s. How full should his new big old dog bowl be with water?

Can snakes drown?

No - in fact they can swim underwater for long periods as my Ziska regularly demonstrates. Just use a biiig bowl and fill it about a third full, so that if he gets in, the water can't get out!
boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 23:13:39
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyTurtle

Ok thanks, I'll refer Axa Home insurance to your post when my house is reduced to charcoal

Can snakes drown?

fill it up :P and yeah.
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 23:04:22

Can snakes drown?
boomslang Posted - 06/08/2011 : 23:02:07
quote:
but I'm wary of putting too much 'silky planties' on the hot side in case I start a meltdown.
Be fine,aslong as they can't fall down into the heater :P
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:52:06
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Haha, Sanke! I did it again. Sanke wont tell you, she's sleeping with a big belly of rat right now but your snake will let you know.

And I thought you were just typing too fast, until I saw your 'signature'. Hope the rat-eu-vin went down well Sanke!
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:48:47
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Nicely done, you might need to pack it out even more but only the sanke will be able to tell you if its needed. Weird but my eyes went straight to the thermometer readings, just like when I walk in my living room, its a quick scan down the bank of screens (all 12 of them) before anything.

I agree, it looks a bit sparse on the 'hot end'. He's favouring the old roof tile on the cold side at the moment, which has an old Twynings Green Tea box modified to a sphagnum moss box underneath.

I will get some more 'cover' for him on that side, but I'm wary of putting too much 'silky planties' on the hot side in case I start a meltdown.

I'll update when I've got more kit, for now I can bung back all the kitchen and toilet roll holders that I took out for the photos

And yes, I know what you mean about the thermometers! I even text my finance to ask what the temperatures are at, and how she and the dog are of course

I think with 12 I'd be suffering from OCD!
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ooo - Percy's Palace is proper posh!!

Thanks! I hope he likes it as much as me, or I'll turf him out & I'll bloody well curl up in there!
SaltyTurtle Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:42:42
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

Nice i like the lighting,looks well tidy.and you changed the bark for coco terrarium substrate?

Thanks Boomer!

Yes I threw all the old subby on the compost heap & got this new improved look. Glad you approve.

P.s. The specks on the edge of the water bowl are dust from the substrate, NOT mites (I'd just put the bowl in, and kicked up a load of coco-dust being cack-handed )
Lotabob Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:41:32
Haha, Sanke! I did it again. Sanke wont tell you, she's sleeping with a big belly of rat right now but your snake will let you know.
Lotabob Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:40:21
Nicely done, you might need to pack it out even more but only the sanke will be able to tell you if its needed. Weird but my eyes went straight to the thermometer readings, just like when I walk in my living room, its a quick scan down the bank of screens (all 12 of them) before anything.
n/a Posted - 06/08/2011 : 22:36:37
Ooo - Percy's Palace is proper posh!!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000