The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding Times

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kempy Posted - 08/08/2011 : 10:38:17
As above I have a question about what time to feed Claudia.
Normally I feed her around 8pm and she seems to appreciate this as she has always been eager to eat. However I work shifts and when I'm on a late shift I can't feed her at this time. So I'm faced with either feeding her before I leave for work at around 1pm or when I get home at around 2am.
I know neither is ideal but I wondered if one would be better than the other. I tried to feed her last night when I got home (i.e 2am) and
she was asleep. When she woke up she seemed scared (obviously woke with a start) as she balled right up and buried her head under her coils, something she has never done before as she is normally a confidant Royal. I took the decision to leave the mouse in her viv and placed it by the entrance to her hide (again a first as she strike feeds) but this morning it was still there. She must have seen it as she has swapped hides in the night so had to "crawl" over it.
So any ideas people. would the middle of the day really be preferable for her?
Cheers.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhk2005 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 11:27:30
To be honest I feed mine once the sun goes down so it can be anywhere from 4pm in winter to 10pm in summer, as they come alive after dark, lol! If you're worried that 2am is too late, try leaving the prey in the same room to defrost while you're at work. This should stimulate her interest in hunting for her tea as her food's scent fills the air, and she'll be positively dribbling by the time you get home

Alternatively, you could alter her routine slightly and feed her a couple of days early or late. Now that my little family has grown I have some eating every week, some every 10 days and a couple that will only eat once every 2 weeks. A few days missed won't do her any harm and it means you would be able to maintain a regular time to feed her.

The only thing I would say is that royals are opportunists like most snakes so you've got nothing to lose by attempting to feed her in daytime. You never know, she might just surprise you

Hope these ideas help

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000