The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 retained eye caps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex Posted - 09/08/2011 : 20:22:22
good evening everyone! just a quick question about retained eye caps and tail shed. when they eye caps are retained are they really obvious to see? and if shed gets stuck on the tail is this easy to see. I have read all about the caps but just wondered if it was easy to miss a retained cap or not? sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i do everything 100% right
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 09/08/2011 : 23:46:42
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3502

Thats got a picture of a retained eyecap. They aren't always that obvious, thats just the eyecap so you see the tearing around it, if a good portion of shed is still surrounding the eye then it will be more difficult but dints, crackled, cloudy eyes are all signs of retained eyecaps. The eyecaps even on a destroyed shed are very easy to identify, no other scales on the snake looks like they do it is worth picking through to be sure.
boomslang Posted - 09/08/2011 : 23:39:05
quote:
The eye caps dont show well if they are still attached after a shed
Most of the time you can see it,Either cloudy/Not as clear as normal,or small bits of skin around eyes.

As for the tail tip,ive always found this easy to remove,more humidity,shed ease stuff.all the known methods remove this.its the eye caps that are harder to remove.
sandi Posted - 09/08/2011 : 21:22:53
If he is shedding in bits then its a humidity problem. I add some wet cloths to the viv during shed plus spray the viv walls with water to up it a bit.

The eye caps dont show well if they are still attached after a shed, it takes a bit of a keen eye to tell. If the head area is flaky then you can often see if the eye caps are part of the retained shed due to the flaky edges of the retained part.

Let snakey run through wet towels for a while and the eye caps become more obvious and then loosen before coming away completely.

Florence had this problem recently and in 2 sessions of wet towel treatment she was shed free!
alex Posted - 09/08/2011 : 20:48:41
ha yea would have done but monty has only had one shed with me and i had to put him in a moist hide to get the shed off it came off in so many pieces lol! it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack!
Evolution Morphs Posted - 09/08/2011 : 20:39:16
Best way to make sure they ain't retained there eye caps and tip of the tail is to check the snakes shed to see if there on there

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000