The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Weight and Feeding successes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Margwar Posted - 14/08/2011 : 09:10:13
So, we've had Serenity now for just over 2 months, and even with her sporadic eating habits she's gone from 794g Empty on 4/6/11 to 1024g Empty on 13/8/11! We're looking good for her hitting breeding weight by October time, if she bucks up her ideas with her eating.
Our King snake has shot up from 35g in May to 98g yesterday, but of course, being a King she's never once refused food.
And the ickle AsBoa has gone from 72g in April to 178g end of last month.

And Margwar, well he's just a great big lump, he's on 1 Medium Rat every 14 days and is staying around the 1.8kg mark. He's my little beast!

Serenity putting on weight even with her on off feeding just goes to show that Royals going off their food, or refusing a meal isn't such a big deal, all right she'd probably be nearer 1200g if she'd ate properly, but I'm just happy she's actually eating at all!

And on another note, the latest addition, Piran, ate a medium mouse yesterday. He came to us in shed, shed in 2 pieces, it broke off at his cloaca, and it was abit bloody, but we think that may be because of his trip down here in an air conditioned car.
There's no signs of blood now and he pooped fine on Friday, I forgot to get an empty weight, so I'll have to wait until next time. But because of the bleeding and because he decided to do various annoying things when I was changing his water (i.e moving his hide to where his water bowl needs to be) he's been handled a fair bit this week, so he's not really had the full settling in period like I'd have wanted.
I had vision of his refusing to eat, but I went up to check on Lamia, after we fed her and he was out at about 9pm, the mouse was upstairs defrosted so I warmed it up and offered it to him, I didn't warm it up quite enough apparently because he turned his nose up, so I warmed it up some more and bam! One constricted mouse, one fed snake and one very happy owner!

Now he's shed he's so much brighter, he's also got a little white spot on his head, where his scales have no pigment whatsoever and the tip of his tail is the same.
He should hopefully make a lovely Sire in years to come.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 16/08/2011 : 10:43:54
WOW. 230g in 9 weeks that's a huge amount of weight/ growth spurt even for a well feeding royal
sandi Posted - 15/08/2011 : 20:36:42
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437

The link above is blackecho's weight chart, it is a very good guide.
Lotabob Posted - 14/08/2011 : 13:42:55
I wouldn't compare snake to snake, as long as Percy is eating and has a good body shape then he is fine. It may have just taken him a bit longer to eat than others or he is eating smaller stuff less frequent, lots of different reasons for them not growing as quickly as others but its not a race, he'll get there in the end they'll reach there full potential either way.
Margwar Posted - 14/08/2011 : 12:31:50
We have a 2 month old that is around 170g, so going by that 90g is quite small, but some are slow starters. So long as he is feeding and gaining weight and not lethargic, he should be fine :)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 14/08/2011 : 11:20:54
I weighed 4 month old Percy yesterday. 90g. Seemed low, is it? Everyone else's snakes seem to weigh 10x that!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000