The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 My daughters baby royal is a bit snappy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
markmifsud Posted - 15/08/2011 : 09:26:30
She has had him for about 6 weeks now, he was 90g when she first got him. Eating a fluff every 5 days no problem, but since two weeks ago when he shed, he has started to try and bite everyone when they put there hand in the viv. Even on a non feed day he is the same.

I have not seen or tried this myself as we do not live that close, but will be there this coming weekend to see how he is with me.

Any ideas whats going on here?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
markmifsud Posted - 23/08/2011 : 00:04:42
Well a little update on this, I was there on Saturday. I took him out of the viv and was ok, not snappy at all, just a little timid. Its deff hunger strikes though as she told me she had him out on friday, after putting the kettle on to make a cuppa he struck at the kettle lol. So either he fancied a PG tips or he was making a play for a heat source. I have told her to get some rat pups instead of the mouse ones to see how he gets on with those
n/a Posted - 20/08/2011 : 22:54:13
LOL - I DID this ...

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6551

ouch!
acd1984 Posted - 20/08/2011 : 22:48:30
Watch Kelfezond' vids (not sure of the link). Basicaly go in fist first slowly and let him/her sniff you, when he/she knows its not a rat you shouldnt have a problem
Lucy1012 Posted - 20/08/2011 : 22:16:00
I have a male baby who is a fantastic eater he has been on rat pups and just going up a stage to fluffs. But although he doesn't actually strike, he is on the constant look out for food every time his rub is moved a mm.. i do think twice about putting my hand in there when i know he is due for a feed ;-)
anatess Posted - 17/08/2011 : 06:28:30
Yeah, it's called a tap on the nose to get the snake out of an s-coil (the alert, ready to bite mode), but you can spread your palm (fingers together, palm wide open like giving a pledge) on a juvie royal's head to achieve the same effect because royals have a tendency to ball up when it sees something big over its head.

If he does strike, he'll hit the palm of your hand but should have a lesser chance of grabbing a bite unless you kinda flinch your hand and he catches the side of it instead of the palm.

My husband does this with our royals, including the adults, if they go on this mood... especially when trying to get a mother snake out of her eggs. And he's usually successful at it.

Sometimes if they get to bitey, he uses a towel instead of the palm of his hand.

They usually calm down when they're on your hand.
acd1984 Posted - 16/08/2011 : 22:14:12
yeah i wouldnt try it myself, but its something iv seen on a snake show or youtube somewhere.
sandi Posted - 16/08/2011 : 21:08:51
Ah, that makes sense! thanks kelf!
Kelfezond Posted - 16/08/2011 : 11:04:57
I believe they call it hook training, it's a technique for large snakes that tend to take your head off when they bite not just annoy you. It's not really a tap it's more just a nudge but it's something they need to be doing for years not just randomly start one day, read alot about it when I was looking into getting a burm'
BlueDragon Posted - 16/08/2011 : 11:02:57
I agree, I wouldn't tap any snake on the nose (or anywhere). I don't think it's nessasary and it may well put them off eating all together. I don't think that's a wise think to do to a snake that is already snappy : /
sandi Posted - 15/08/2011 : 20:26:49
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

I dont know how reliable or pratical it is but, i saw a video that said if you tap them on the nose it stops them wanting food.

If he is okay once out of the viv it might be a good idea to use a snake hook.

If you tap me on the nose im going to bite your face off so i wouldnt be doing that to any snake!!!

Could just be a grouchy baby so handle lots is my advise.
markmifsud Posted - 15/08/2011 : 16:05:40
She is going to feed him again and then see how he handles. Thanks for your valued input everyone.

She does already have another royal so she knows how to handle them, just this lad has scared her a bit as its a constant threat.

Ill let you know what happens after the weekend. Ill not be here for the rest of the week as I am working in scotland as of tomorrow.
acd1984 Posted - 15/08/2011 : 15:14:17
I dont know how reliable or pratical it is but, i saw a video that said if you tap them on the nose it stops them wanting food.

If he is okay once out of the viv it might be a good idea to use a snake hook.
Kelfezond Posted - 15/08/2011 : 13:00:24
Just sounds a bit nasty, I honestly believe some snakes are just natural biters. Should be easy enough to get her to calm down with lots of handling though :)
hodgie Posted - 15/08/2011 : 12:50:58
I would suggest that he`s just got the feeding bug, he wants anything and everything.
My Female Mojave was 50g when i got her and needed to be assist fed but once she got going she used to spring out of the viv once the glass was opened like a dangerous Viper.

If he`s in a rub does he have 2 hides? Also it may help to put a small towel over the top and 3 sides of the rub to make him feel more secure.
n/a Posted - 15/08/2011 : 12:21:04
Hi, is he on rat fluffs or mouse fluffs? If rats, could be an idea to try him on two fluffs or a small weaner; if mouse, sounds like an ideal opportunity to wean him on to rats, but increase every meal gradually of course (as you'll know!)

If it isn't peckishness, then he could be what's called viv defensive. (Or in his case, rub-defensive.) I don't like this term, as people usually go on to say that you should prevent it by not feeding in-viv. I honestly don't think this follows, and I personally prefer to feed in viv (though that's a matter of preference of course.) I once bought a corn who I was warned was 'viv-defensive', and she put on a superb display of whipping about, tail-rattling, striking, every time I disturbed her. I left her to settle in and increased her feeding a bit too. Once she'd settled I started handling (and talking to her lol) and now, despite feeding in-viv, she's fine, save for the occasional tail-rattle but that makes life interesting lol.

How is the little guy with handling? Does he calm as soon as he's brought out of the viv? I reckon, as others have said, increase his meals if needed, and also handle regularly and he'll grow out of it.

Good luck with the snake-whispering!
markmifsud Posted - 15/08/2011 : 10:38:40
Its a nice rub, ideal heat/hide/water/bedding. It was suggested by someone else that maybe the fluffs are now not enough so could be hungry
BlueDragon Posted - 15/08/2011 : 10:21:55
My best guess would be that he's needing a bigger prey item. But it's only a guess.

ETA: what kind of living conditions does he have? I.E. where in the house is he and is he in a viv, a RUB or a tank etc, etc.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000