The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 best light for day time?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 20/08/2011 : 17:33:25
Im going to have a light in the viv (non heat) for daytime viewing. the main reason for this is im a bit of insomniac so the main room light is on all night sometimes, so i want george to be able to differentiate (spelling) day and night.

Il be using a IR bulb for the night time, but whats a safe light for daytime? i was going to use a low wattage energy saver but i know that if they burst they contain mercury or some other crappy material. of course there is always a risk of a bulb popping but im trying to find one thats most suitable.

I have seen some under counter fluorescents in asda for about £10 which might be a good option
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acd1984 Posted - 21/08/2011 : 13:48:07
Ok thanks for your input guys and girls, no extra light it is
acd1984 Posted - 21/08/2011 : 13:46:22
Ok thanks for your input guys and girls, no extra light it is
BlueDragon Posted - 21/08/2011 : 10:09:01
I would never use a light in a Royals viv at all. Far too stressful for said Snake and just not nessasary.

You can use an R.I. bulb continuesly 'cause they can't see the light. As others have said just leave the viv un-covered during the day and cover it with some kind of heavy material (so no light can get through) like maybe black-out material? at night. That means Snakey will still have a more-or-less natural day and night and you won't disturb him too much at night either.
Lotabob Posted - 20/08/2011 : 23:28:16
Purely from the snake's point of view its not going to want a white light in its vivarium, natural daylight is enough of a cue as to what time of day it is but there are others. If you are keeping the light on a lot at night for the snakes sake put a towel over the front. You cant try manipulating the light cycle to be light at night and really light in the day. They are nocturnal, built for been active when it is dark, and hidden somewhere dark when its light. The Snakes well-being always comes first just provide it what it needs.
acd1984 Posted - 20/08/2011 : 22:56:58
Because i can be up all night quite often (which means the room light is on), I thought a light for the day time would help him know when its night time, but i dont know.

What do you think of this? 1 IR bulb & 1 heat lamp > both on seperate timers (day and night)connected to 1 dimmer stat.

I know its alot of wires but can anyone see any problems? (only 1 light would be operational at any 1 time)
blackskull Posted - 20/08/2011 : 21:04:46
i use the low wattage energy bulbs in my vivs, caged of course, and never had one burst, touch wood. but then i use ceramic bulbs. as others have said if your usein ir then there is no need for a light bulb
boomslang Posted - 20/08/2011 : 20:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ha - just realised we overlapped, Boomslang, sorry didn't notice before!

Hehe np
n/a Posted - 20/08/2011 : 18:55:48
Ha - just realised we overlapped, Boomslang, sorry didn't notice before!
boomslang Posted - 20/08/2011 : 18:52:04
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ha - sympathise with the insomnia - oh boy fun, isn't it!!

Your IR just needs to be left on 24/7 - snakes can't 'see' IR light. In good natural room light, they'll experience a normal day/night cycle.

If you have your room lights on most of the night though, I'd think about a curtain or towel draped over George's viv windows, in order to give him some dimness.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the insomnia ...arrgh, horrible thing!

didn't notice you are using an IR bulb (going blind)So in that case,any white light you put in there.Will just make the whole viv look like a disco lol.

Unless you mean,you want to use the IR at night and light in the day?
In which case just stick to your Ir bulb,and forget about the light.
n/a Posted - 20/08/2011 : 18:11:17
Ha - sympathise with the insomnia - oh boy fun, isn't it!!

Your IR just needs to be left on 24/7 - snakes can't 'see' IR light. In good natural room light, they'll experience a normal day/night cycle.

If you have your room lights on most of the night though, I'd think about a curtain or towel draped over George's viv windows, in order to give him some dimness.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the insomnia ...arrgh, horrible thing!
boomslang Posted - 20/08/2011 : 18:10:11
Sometimes its nice to have a light for daytime viewing,If the viv is a centerpiece in your living room.

2.0 fluorescent tubes are ok,Aslong as the snake can't get to it.Or one of them exo terra compact bulbs.

Upto you really,Just make sure the bulb you use,gives of no heat.
Lotabob Posted - 20/08/2011 : 17:34:54
Its just not required, the IR bulb provides plenty of light for viewing a sleeping snake through a hole in the hide, lol.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000