The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Weighing and feeding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lorraine Posted - 01/09/2011 : 10:42:15
When you say you've weighed your snake 'empty' does that mean before he's fed or after he's pooed?

I weighed Oscar this morning as I'm going to feed him this evening and he's now the grand weight of 191gms. He's put 21gms on in 5 days, so I'm well chuffed with him.

I'm learning though. I looked at him in his hide last night, (could only see his back) and thought he looked dull. Anyway, got him out this morning (he hissed at me, lol) and yep! he's blue. Fingers crossed I get a better shed this time. Last one was in bits and he retained his eye caps. Humidity hide at the ready and I'll move his water bowl to the hot side.

Anyway, should I feed him tonight now or just leave him be? I was going to have a play this morning but he obviously wasn't very happy so I put him straight back in his viv.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/09/2011 : 13:02:21
quote:
Originally posted by Lorraine

Oooooh, I'VE HATCHED!!!!! pmsl.

LOL - congrats!!
Lorraine Posted - 02/09/2011 : 11:43:56
Oooooh, I'VE HATCHED!!!!! pmsl.
Lorraine Posted - 02/09/2011 : 11:41:21
Well, hopefully I'll continue to be lucky with him Bats. It's the first time that he hasn't strike fed. Usually when I've left his food, I have to remove it the next morning so I really didn't expect him to eat that one.
n/a Posted - 01/09/2011 : 23:12:59
quote:

He changed his mind lol. I left food outside his hide and it's gone! He sure does like his food.

Wow - good lad! There aren't many about but that's cool if you have a royal who will eat whatever - always a good thing!
Lotabob Posted - 01/09/2011 : 22:59:38
Ah the royal way of eating, the times I see nothing when XDuke is fed, one minute the rat is there the next its disappeared.
Lorraine Posted - 01/09/2011 : 22:30:19
He changed his mind lol. I left food outside his hide and it's gone! He sure does like his food.
Lorraine Posted - 01/09/2011 : 21:16:00
Thank you. :o)

He's decided not to eat, so I've just left him alone.
hodgie Posted - 01/09/2011 : 20:26:59
quote:

When you say you've weighed your snake 'empty' does that mean before he's fed or after he's pooed?

After they have pooed.
Lotabob Posted - 01/09/2011 : 20:03:23
Yeah I have no problems handling any of my herd when they are blue, if they need picking up for any reason then I can do it without problems, I dont feed them between going blue and shedding though, mainly to avoid waste and it does them no harm missing a meal. As a rule though I just raise their humidity and leave them alone.
n/a Posted - 01/09/2011 : 17:03:32
Hi - some do feed in blue. I once presented Saada with her rat and realised, too late, that she was blue, but she didn't care ...But usually if I know a snake's in blue, I'll wait.

Also, unless I absolutely have to pick up a snake in blue I don't handle (for instance I once had to unearth Ziska from her aspen in order to decide whether it was worth defrosting her rat for her.) But sometimes I've gone in and picked up the snake before I've realised they've gone into shed. They do seem extra jumpy at this time.

This is just my personal experience though, and, though I prefer to leave my lot alone while in blue, they are all different. I really can't see a snake in blue being damaged by careful handling. Other people with more expertise than me may be able to supply more info?
acd1984 Posted - 01/09/2011 : 16:12:09
Hi guys sorry to hijack your thread Lorraine,

Im just wondering how bad it is to feed and handle a royal whilst in blue?

The reason being i handle george even when hes deep into blue and he doesnt mind one bit and he even feeds (crazy royal) i even handle him before each feed.

Hes happy and not stressed with this at all but can any damage be caused?
Tawfik47 Posted - 01/09/2011 : 11:13:24
Good luck with the shed Oscar
n/a Posted - 01/09/2011 : 10:56:40
Hi, you're right on both counts - after he's taken a dump and before he's fed again.

Bless him! Certainly shows he's growing. Yes, he won't want to do much until he's got his tight kit off and you do right to leave him alone, save for unavoidable handling such as getting the snake out to check if it's blue. Some will feed in blue but usually they don't, and it does them no harm to wait till after the shed, especially when they've been eating as well as he is.

All the best for a good shed and a new shiny Oscar!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000