The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 5 Month Year old New Royal Python

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lukegriffiths1993 Posted - 09/09/2011 : 22:18:07
I have recently bought a royal python and Monday coming up will be the 5th week it has not yet eat. this worry's me alot, the heat is fine at 30-37 at most days it has the odd days when it drops and rises but this is probably because of room temp also. he stroke the first ever time i tried to feed him but he never eat that either and ive tried 6-7times since ive bought him. ive had him 4 weeks but he didnt get fed till a week before in the shop either. i have a plastic viv and one hide on the hot side because to small for a cold side viv. water is changed every 2 days and placed in the cold side corner. he is very active still most days.
Please help
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hodgie Posted - 10/09/2011 : 23:08:46
Forget every thing the shop tells you, read the care sheet, get your husbandry correct and in a few weeks your snake should be eating. If you cant get 2 hides in the rub then get a bigger one and fill it up with 2 hides some branches and fake leaves. 32 hot end.
n/a Posted - 10/09/2011 : 10:03:08
Hi, Luke, yes, I too have been given horrendously wrong advice by shops in the past. I can't add anything to Bob's and Prozacbear's advice, but for a bit of quick research, here's a good link - it's long and you might want to skip the bits leading up to discussion of equipment, but it's got plenty of info about setups. And I reckon the cheapest matstats are from Surrey pet supplies (they have a site) or ebay. All the very best with him.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5183
prozacbear Posted - 10/09/2011 : 08:25:57
The lack of feed is not your primary problem. PLEASE, please, please, get a viv which allows him to thermoregulate properly, with two hides, and a thermostat is essential, I've seen horribly burnt snakes and its not worth the risk.

High temperatures and burns will kill a snake much quicker than starvation.

The first reptile i ever bought was a desert iguana. I listened to the advice from the shop and bought a full setup from that shop. Then i started Googling and the shops advice and the setup they sold me didn't agree with what i was reading. I contacted a local man who run a small reptile business and was part of the local herpetology society.

To make a long story short it quickly became clear the shop had sold me a setup that was going to kill my lizard within a few days. To save my lizard i needed to spend a lot more. The original £100 setup was worthless, and I needed to spend more like £300 -£400 to house a reptile with such extreme needs.

I bit the bullet and stood by the responsibility i had taken when i brought the lizard home, I spent the money and Smaug the desert iguana is still going strong after 6 years and can be seen in my sig.

You won't have to spend nearly as much as me to make you setup right, please do the right thing.

(I don't normally preach like this but I want your reptile to be safe and healthy)

Lotabob Posted - 10/09/2011 : 00:35:25
I've said to you before 'what the shop says' doesn't count for much if the info is wrong, I take it your still using the heat mat without a thermostat too. If the shop was worth its salt it would have sold you a setup with 2 hides and a thermostat. If you do even 1 hours research on Royal Pythons the first thing you learn other than that its a type of snake is that they can be fussy feeders, husbandry has to be just right, if they are unhappy or stressed they dont eat, this includes feeling exposed, too light, too hot, too cold, its your job to bow to its every demand (its a Royal after all) and give it exactly what it wants.

The reason you use two hides is so the snake doesn't have to sacrifice its security to regulate its temperature. Hides dont have to be expensive, anything that the snake can get into and out of will do just fine.

The reason for using a thermostat is to keep any heat sources in check, for the safety of your animal, your equipment and your home, they aren't all that expensive and prevent the heat source getting too hot.
lukegriffiths1993 Posted - 09/09/2011 : 23:59:20
like it says its a 5 month old python and the shop said that the heat is fine and the hide should onyl go over the warm side whilst young.
Lotabob Posted - 09/09/2011 : 23:04:59
30-37? Your hot end should be around 32oC not exceeding 35oC. With Royals your husbandry has to meet their fussy tendencies, so they donty like light, they dont like been exposed. The reason your snake is active is its not happy, its looking for somewhere to hide at a good temperature. Move the hide over to the cool side for a start, if its cold it will seek out heat it doesn't need cooked 24/7, 2 hides are better but if you only have one then put it over in the cooler side. Change the water daily the heat in the viv is warm to stagnate the water in less than 24 hours. The way you try feeding them can also make the difference, they have heat pits so a warm dinner helps, let them hunt it out dont waggle it by their nose it may scare and put off your snake.

The other thing is royals can go months and months without food, not sure how old it is but if its an adult they can fast for most of the year if they choose.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000