The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Humidity problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 11/09/2011 : 03:21:45
Hi guys just after some help.

Ok so george is in his viv now but he is ready to shed, the only problem is the humidity, when he was in a rub I would put in some fresh bark around the warm edges and all would be good.

Now in the viv it seems like nothing will bring the humidity up for long, iv run out of bark so i cant use the usual method........so I have put a water bowl in the warm side also a wet cloth and sprayed the viv (all at the same time!)

Now about an hour and a half later the humidy is down to 40

Any other methods i could try, im preparing for a bad shed :(

thanks guys
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/09/2011 : 11:09:09
Congrats! Yes, look forward to pics of an even more gorgeous George!
Tawfik47 Posted - 14/09/2011 : 10:47:20
Congrats !! waitting for pics of the shining royal ;)
acd1984 Posted - 14/09/2011 : 09:01:21
UPDATE - Well you guys on here are right when you say that the analogue hygrometers are rubbish because although it was reading at stupidly low percentile, George had his best ever shed, all in one piece and im sure he did it in less than a hour because of the times I looked in on him.

so thanks for all your advice guys. Bob I used your damp cloth in the hide trick and that helped a treat thanks.
acd1984 Posted - 12/09/2011 : 01:43:56
Thanks guys youve all been big helps, i moved the hygrometer out of sight of the bulb and yes that helped. i cant belive i didnt think of putting a damp cloth in the hide lol i just put it on top.

anyway thanks for your advice guys :) hopefully all will be good
Lotabob Posted - 11/09/2011 : 12:40:11
Could be as simple as your probe been in direct line of sight of your heat source. Move it do its about an inch off the ground but with something between the heat source and the probe
Lorraine Posted - 11/09/2011 : 11:08:02
I made a humidity hide for Oscar using a tupperware box, but I cut the entrance from the front, so the lid became the base. I put damp paper towel on the bottom at all times but this time when he was due a shed last week, I put some wet sphagnum moss in there too. He shed perfectly.
n/a Posted - 11/09/2011 : 10:17:42
I'm lazy and don't measure humidity and Shahi, as a hatchling, had a couple of bad sheds before I started reading up on this forum about the problem,but since I've left his water bowl in the hot end, he's been fine. That's just my experience with this particular snake of course.

Fingers crossed for George's shed!
Royalbob Posted - 11/09/2011 : 10:00:12
wet a flannel and place some of it under his hot hide or where he spends most of his time. This will increase the humidity inside of the hide. sorted. Works the same as a damp hide box.Or

http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=82

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000