The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Humidity too high

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nikki0421 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 16:42:31
Hi
I have just set up my viv and the humidity gauge is reading 72% which from what I've read is too high. The temperature is 83 and I only have one bowl of water in the cool end of the viv. I am using orchid bark as substrate and wondered whether this could be part of the problem or possibly the positioning of the gauge which I have at the back (top middle) I would be really grateful for any advice as I am starting to worry that this may cause respiratory problems later on.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 23/09/2011 : 12:46:43
My humidity is between 45-60% and I have never had any issues with Duke shedding badly either, I do spray the foliage if it drops below 45% but to say they need a very specific humidity is a little bit anal and would be a nightmare to keep exact, basically if its really really dry it could cause shedding problems and if its really really DAMP rather than humid its going to cause respiritory problems and scale rot issues.
Snecklifter Posted - 23/09/2011 : 12:35:43
90% humidity does seem very high. I keep mine at 68 - 75% constantly and there have been no adverse effects at all. It saves messing about come shed time with damp hides etc. With the humidity hovering around the 70% mark constantly, he hasn't had a single untidy shed, seems to work well.
Tawfik47 Posted - 21/09/2011 : 11:24:19
Yea, i've seen something similar to that link, and it shows humidity between 80% and 90% in africa where Royals originaly belong.
hodgie Posted - 21/09/2011 : 06:35:23
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang
And isnt 90% like rainforest wet?My cham cages only just get to 90% with a mist king,right after a 15 min soaking.Anyway with ones like the exo terra will give you a rough guestimate.

heres a link to the weather forecast in Ghana, humidity is included,
http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/ghana/accra
boomslang Posted - 21/09/2011 : 01:09:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Biggest tip for keeping a royal I'd give anybody is not to worry, royal's are stupidly strong and internet guides are always very, very specific but never tell you that if something goes wrong and the numbers are too high or too low your royal will be fine for a long, long time before anything too negative happens.

And as for the premature handling, some people handle from day 1 and everything is fine, it doesn't do any real harm as far as I've noticed but it's kind of courtesy to the snake to give the poor guy a break after moving him into a strange environment.

yeah Kelfezond is right,more so when it comes to humidity.most of the "REPTILE" humidity readers are very inaccurate anyway,So if it reads 50%,is it really 50%?and not 40 50 60 70 etc.

And isnt 90% like rainforest wet?My cham cages only just get to 90% with a mist king,right after a 15 min soaking.Anyway with ones like the exo terra will give you a rough guestimate.
Kelfezond Posted - 20/09/2011 : 22:35:33
Biggest tip for keeping a royal I'd give anybody is not to worry, royal's are stupidly strong and internet guides are always very, very specific but never tell you that if something goes wrong and the numbers are too high or too low your royal will be fine for a long, long time before anything too negative happens.

And as for the premature handling, some people handle from day 1 and everything is fine, it doesn't do any real harm as far as I've noticed but it's kind of courtesy to the snake to give the poor guy a break after moving him into a strange environment.
nikki0421 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 22:12:19
Thankyou so much to everyone who posted. I was really starting to worry but feel better about it now especially after hodgie's post as mine is nowhere near 90%. Thankyou all again for putting my mind at rest, (I might actually get some sleep now. Lol)
boomslang Posted - 20/09/2011 : 21:36:06
quote:
Originally posted by nikki0421

The bark was straight from the bag which was given to me when I purchased the snake, so I assumed it would be the best type to use although it was slightly damp to the touch. Would a digital thermometer/humidity gauge give a more accurate reading. Also it may sound like a silly question , but because the bark is so dark how will I know which areas to clear when spot cleaning, as I'm thinking of getting a lighter substrate for this reason and also to hopefully stop the humidity problem.

If you buy the right brand,it shouldn't need baking or anything.it should be bone dry and light in colour from the bag.And if its a stick on gauge thats junk,replace it with a digi thermometer/humidity.
hodgie Posted - 20/09/2011 : 20:22:00
Absolutely nothing wrong with humidity in the 70`s, 50% is advised as a guide because that is what we have in this country.
When it rains in Africa there is no way humidity is 50% also Royal Python eggs need humidity close to 90% to have a chance to go the full hogg.
Crystal Palace Reptiles who are probably the biggest retailer in the UK keep their Royals in the 90% bracket.
n/a Posted - 20/09/2011 : 19:53:00
Hi, I don't use hygrometers because I'm technologically illiterate lol, and I don't have any experience of orchid bark, but I read before of this problem, and the person was advised to leave half the bark in the viv, and take the other half out and bake it (spread it out on a baking tray at lowest oven temp, don't know how long for though, until it's crunchy I guess.) So you could take out some bark without disturbing him too much if he's in his hide? And spread a bit of kitchen roll in its place while the baked bark is drying and cooling? Hope this helps.

Also you'll know when he's been ...royals wee in the usual way but it's usually accompanied or even replaced by little white balls of solid wee called urates, as well as a log, which you cannot avoid seeing as they get older. (AH! Just remembered, yours is an adult ...well, this is what you can expect to see lol!)

I posted this vid I found on youtube already today so apologies to people who've seen it before, but it really is a magnificent example of what you can expect from them. Royals may often only go every few weeks or so, but when they do ...oh boy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euqBBwVukY0&feature=related
Tawfik47 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 19:43:51
I thought 70% humidity is ok ?! mine is alway between 60% and 70% ...
nikki0421 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 19:33:37
Also if I change the substrate what is likely to be more damaging, handling too early (I only picked him up today) or leaving the substrate in until next week with the humidity as it is.
nikki0421 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 19:06:06
The bark was straight from the bag which was given to me when I purchased the snake, so I assumed it would be the best type to use although it was slightly damp to the touch. Would a digital thermometer/humidity gauge give a more accurate reading. Also it may sound like a silly question , but because the bark is so dark how will I know which areas to clear when spot cleaning, as I'm thinking of getting a lighter substrate for this reason and also to hopefully stop the humidity problem.
boomslang Posted - 20/09/2011 : 17:58:06
Is the bark you purchased bone dry in the bag?if it gets very wet,its surprising how long it takes to dry out.

Where do you have the probe?
Kelfezond Posted - 20/09/2011 : 17:51:26
Yes the bark is the problem, it's fine to use if you heat it in the oven first though and if you leave it out long enough it'll be fine, fresh orchard raises humidity like mad though

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000