The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royal weight

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spam08 Posted - 24/09/2011 : 21:01:24
Hi

I'm a bit worried my girl is under weight.
She hatched May 2010 and currently weighs 525g empty, she is over 2ft but i can't get a proper measurement as she's always on the move lol. She is a great feeder, only ever missed one feed when i upgraded her to a 18L RUB. I feed her small weaners once a week at the moment. The large weaners at my local pet shop seem way too large for her.
I've read a lot of forums where some people are saying there CB10's are nearly 1000g.
Does her weight sound ok for a 16month royal?
I know all snakes will have different growth rates, i just don't want to be starving her.
I can add some recent pictures but again as she's so active i couldn't get any full body shots, i think you see more of my arm than her lol.
Thanks for any help
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 30/09/2011 : 20:44:50
I've just googled this, as my lad has hit a good weight but certainly don't want him to get fat as opposed to nice size, and the verdict seems to be, if you can see white gaps between the scales (apart from when the prey is going down/belly bulge after eating.)

At the risk of being boring - Blackecho's feeding guide -

Feed 10/15% of snake's weight

0-400g - feed every 5 days
400-800g - every 7 days
800-1200g - every 10 days
1200g+ every 2 weeks

Very proud as my lad is now going on to medium rats every 2 weeks yay - though hope he understands it's for his own good ...
spam08 Posted - 30/09/2011 : 20:09:37
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

She may catch up all of a sudden, thats what mine did and now weighs 1300g at 2yrs but at 1yr she was only 600g. All the time she is eating she is doing just fine!

That's what i'm hoping for, she had a small weaner and a spare fluff this weekend. I'm going to order her some large weaners to see if she can manage them.

On a side note, how can you tell if a royal is over weight?
sandi Posted - 26/09/2011 : 21:28:02
She may catch up all of a sudden, thats what mine did and now weighs 1300g at 2yrs but at 1yr she was only 600g. All the time she is eating she is doing just fine!
boomslang Posted - 25/09/2011 : 06:05:08
quote:
Originally posted by spam08

quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:

Had the same thing with my pin,and trying to work it out hurts my brain.mines around 2ft to and only 310g.

so could be down to alot of things,what was the breeder feeding it etc.How big are the weaners you are feeding?

There around 45g after defrosting. She's definitely too small for large weaners. I might try her with a weaner and a fluff for a few weeks to see how she goes.

yeah same more or less as the small weaners here,then it jumps to huge rats,that do look way to big.Like Lotabob said,shes eating and putting on weight.
Lotabob Posted - 25/09/2011 : 01:18:13
They should be 45g when frozen too. Water and ice weigh the same

Your pictures don't seem to show an underweight snake at all, she isn't a big fatty either just right. I wouldn't worry too much about fattening her up or accelerating her growth with increased feeding, they get there in the end either way. It is amazing how big a prey item they can eat, I go more by eye than weight, I pick rats that are equal in girth to Duke at his fattest point, he has never had a problem eating them (apart from now, he hasn't eaten in 3 weeks, may be starting his fast but that's Royals for you).

spam08 Posted - 25/09/2011 : 00:11:55
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:

Had the same thing with my pin,and trying to work it out hurts my brain.mines around 2ft to and only 310g.

so could be down to alot of things,what was the breeder feeding it etc.How big are the weaners you are feeding?

There around 45g after defrosting. She's definitely too small for large weaners. I might try her with a weaner and a fluff for a few weeks to see how she goes.
boomslang Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:26:59
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

Pinstripe was a late cb10 maybe hatched June,July,august

He missed about 6 feeds when I got him and he ain't missed any since

As for my female pastel I'm guessing she's a early cb10 maybe march,April,may

Wish I knew when they hatched but none came with there birth dates

By the looks of your pics he's a healthy looking royal and there should be nothing to worry about

Just injoy your lovely royal ;)

yeah wish i had hatch dates to,but all mine feed well and have never missed a feed,so i try not to think about there past to much :)
boomslang Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:23:33
quote:
Originally posted by spam08

I got her from Doncaster last year, as far as i'm aware the breeder is reliable. She'd had 8 feeds with him before she came home with me.
Does she sound small to you?
How big are every one elses 2010's?
She is mostly active during the night but sometimes she will be out and about during the day. The only time she isn't active is for a couple of days after a feed, she stays in her hot hide.
She regularly moves between her cool and hot hide but will also spend a lot of time out in the open climbing around her plants.
If she is too small then i must of been under feeding her for the past year :(

spam08 Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:10:32
quote:

By the looks of your pics he's a healthy looking royal and there should be nothing to worry about

I was just really paranoid i was underfeeding her, i want to do the best i can for her. She is lovely when she's not trying to eat me lol, i'm starting tap training so hopefully that will stop soon.

Thanks all, you've definitely put my mind at ease.
spam08 Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:06:19
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi, she does sound small but they are all different (that ought to be the TRP motto lol!)

I bought a cf09 last Nov and she was 300g! She had been well cared for and was a greedy feeder. She's now double that weight and over.

I go by the Blackecho feeding guide - 10/15% of snake's weight, weekly for a snake 400-800g - sounds like about what your girl's getting.

If she's feeding well and in good health and her husbandry, temps and all that, is ok, don't worry, she's just a small girl - like humans they vary.

Thank you for your reply.
Blackecho's feeding guide is what i've been using, i find it very handy.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:04:35

n/a Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:02:32
Hi, she does sound small but they are all different (that ought to be the TRP motto lol!)

I bought a cf09 last Nov and she was 300g! She had been well cared for and was a greedy feeder. She's now double that weight and over.

I go by the Blackecho feeding guide - 10/15% of snake's weight, weekly for a snake 400-800g - sounds like about what your girl's getting.

If she's feeding well and in good health and her husbandry, temps and all that, is ok, don't worry, she's just a small girl - like humans they vary.
spam08 Posted - 24/09/2011 : 22:00:30
quote:

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6789

Thanks for that, i didn't see that thread.
Do you know why your pinstripe is so much lighter than your others? Is he a bad feeder?
I would of thought she would be bigger as she's a great feeder. I don't know if i need to change anything or carry on the way i'm going and expect a growth spurt.
Here's some pictures of her.

Like i said, not very good pictures. It's the best i could get at the time.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 24/09/2011 : 21:37:46
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6789
spam08 Posted - 24/09/2011 : 21:30:40
I got her from Doncaster last year, as far as i'm aware the breeder is reliable. She'd had 8 feeds with him before she came home with me.
Does she sound small to you?
How big are every one elses 2010's?
She is mostly active during the night but sometimes she will be out and about during the day. The only time she isn't active is for a couple of days after a feed, she stays in her hot hide.
She regularly moves between her cool and hot hide but will also spend a lot of time out in the open climbing around her plants.
If she is too small then i must of been under feeding her for the past year :(
boomslang Posted - 24/09/2011 : 21:20:59
Might be a stupid question,but are you 100% sure shes a 2010?ie is the shop/breeder good on there word.

sounds like shes eating well,she might have been off feed at the shop etc.

How active do you mean?is she out day and night?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000