The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Set up questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jay Posted - 03/10/2011 : 14:54:46
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding my current set up (not set up by me)

Currently have a 4x2x2 viv with a 150w ceramic heater and a spot bulb.

The ceramic I noticed is on a standard 300w thermostat, not a pulse thermo, is this ok? Or should I purchase a 600w pulse thermo. From reading various sites it would seem the pulse is more efficient at maintaining correct temp. But is it essential for ceramics?

Also is 150w enough for my viv size? Would it be more efficient/better for my royals to step up to a 250w or even 300w bulb?

Is anyone able to recommend a brand of ceramic? I was looking at Exo Terra but see that it is rather large and difficult to find a cage for. And some were complaining of a short life span, so I am now looking at the Komodo range. Anyone have any experience with either brand or indeed any others?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Jay
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 07/10/2011 : 20:48:43
I have a 5x2x2 and find a 250w does the job fine.
Jay Posted - 05/10/2011 : 21:00:37
Hey blackskull,

Thanks for the reply m8, it confirms my decision to purchase a few upgrades =)
blackskull Posted - 05/10/2011 : 18:00:12
if its any help i use the lucky reptile dark spot ceramic, they fit inside the larger of the 2 off the shelf cages.

i use a 250w in my 4x2x2 viv as we don't have central heating and it keeps the temps fine in the winter months
Jay Posted - 04/10/2011 : 21:05:40
Right im with ya,

Thanks Mark, will be putting an order in for new kit this weekend.

Jay
markmifsud Posted - 04/10/2011 : 20:00:01
there's no need to drop it back from a 300w to 250w. all that matters is that it can generate enough heat to get the warm end at a steady 90f. with a dimming stat, your ceramic will draw what's needed to maintain the temps. If your heater is bigger than is needed, it will still only draw what's needed, but if its under then it will be running at max 100% of the time and never get your viv upto temp.
Lotabob Posted - 04/10/2011 : 12:46:09
Dimming stats are the best allrounder and keep very accurate temperatures too.
Jay Posted - 04/10/2011 : 10:04:37
Thanks for the Reply Roaylbob,

So the best type of stat to have is the dimming as this not only works with any heat source but is also the best type to maintain a constant temp?

With that being said I am thinking of putting a 300w ceramic in the viv, I realise this may be overkill but I would rather ensure the temps are kept up during the really cold months. perhaps when things warm up again ill drop back to a 250w.

Many Thanks

Jay
Royalbob Posted - 04/10/2011 : 09:14:04
150 will definitely struggle in winter months in an un heated room. Also on off stat will decrease life of bulb. Dimming or pulse will also keep more stable temps
as boomslang said. remember if your ever think of using an i.r bulb then choose a dimming stat as you can use that with that type of bulb as well.
Jay Posted - 04/10/2011 : 08:10:22
Thanks for the replies guys,

The room they are in does not have heating so while we are enjoying this warm spell they will be fine. I think as the winter sets in I will need to invest in some upgrades.

Apreciate the advice.

Jay
boomslang Posted - 04/10/2011 : 04:12:13
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

you may find that in the colder months, a 150w is going to struggle to keep up your temps, I would go for a 250w. I use Exo ceramics and I didnt have much of a problem finding a guard to fit. But yes, they are a touch large I do agree.

Pulse and dimming stats are better than just ON/Off stats, but theres no reason you cant stick with the stat you have

250w might be abit over kill,all depends on his home and other factors.Go with whatever wattage you find keeps temps for you.I use 100w as the rooms in my house are warm.

Komodo are ok,or the brand that glows when on.There are alot of cages around that will indeed fit exo terra bulbs.

As for the stat,on/off stats on a ceramic can be inefficient.And will turn it off fully,so the temps will fluctuate.where as pulse/dimmer will keep temps bang on.
markmifsud Posted - 03/10/2011 : 16:50:46
you may find that in the colder months, a 150w is going to struggle to keep up your temps, I would go for a 250w. I use Exo ceramics and I didnt have much of a problem finding a guard to fit. But yes, they are a touch large I do agree.

Pulse and dimming stats are better than just ON/Off stats, but theres no reason you cant stick with the stat you have

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000