The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Bit of advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nikki0421 Posted - 13/10/2011 : 21:05:53
Hi all
I have just been to get Oscar out for his cuddle and first of all he was'nt out of the hide, which was unusual for this time in the evening and when I lifted the hide and tried to pick him up he curled into a tight ball. I lifted him out and he slowly popped his head out and his eyes are a bluey cloudy colour. I know that this means that he is starting to shed, but I'm just surprised how nervous it's made him, he's normally great to handle, enjoys coming out and has never curled up when I've handled him. Anyway, I'm waffling!! My question is.... how long will it take him to shed completely, because his skin looks the same, it's just his eyes? and also do you think I should leave his Saturday feed until next week? Any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 14/10/2011 : 13:09:25
Its a stressful time for them, they are blind and feel vunerable when in blue so i tend to leave well alone too. Florence can take up to 2 weeks but she sometimes catches me out!
Lotabob Posted - 13/10/2011 : 21:54:40
Save yourself some cash (the millions it costs for a rat lol) and skip a feed when in blue, it wont do any harm and avoids waste which is a pet hate of mine. Its strange how different they act when in blue, I suppose they are just blind, irratable because of the whole skin itchy coming offness, and it makes siome snakes, jumpy, some aggresive and others just go lethargic, I know Duke my big lump who is lazy at the best of times just goes very lethargic, but my other 2 go jumpy. I as a rule leave them alone from the first signs of shedding to the skin coming off just give them this time for a bit of privacy and keep the stress levels to a minimum.
hodgie Posted - 13/10/2011 : 21:51:46
I generally leave mine completely alone and dont offer food, as your found they are particularly nervous and will stay in a hide 24/7.
Also going without food for a little while can help give you a better feeding response after they have shed and emptied themselves.
n/a Posted - 13/10/2011 : 21:16:15
Yes, as D3l says ...the whole process usually takes around a week, from first cloudiness/dustiness to shed, but it's impossible to predict precisely, snakes being what they are.

Yes, they're jumpier as a rule when in blue; my demure little corn hatchling bit me lol!

Personally, if I know a snake, especially a royal, is in blue, I don't offer food, but they can surprise you. I once got Saada's rat all ready and found she was in blue ... she took, and loads of people on here have found their royals have fed while in blue; it depends on the snake.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 13/10/2011 : 21:07:58
2-3 days after clearing from blue

My Mojave hisses at me if she's in blue moody cow lol

But ok when she's not

They can't see that well when in blue so guess that's why they get moody and a bit scared (balled up)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000