The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 first feed :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
luke24 Posted - 18/10/2011 : 12:42:11
hi all, im new here with my very first royal python so i just had to share as im just so pleased, today was first attempt at feeding since i re-homed basil and it was a roaring success, knowing how fussy they can be i thawed, brained the small mouse then place it on kitchen roll just outside his hide which i covered with a huge plant and then covered the viv as well, with in a few mins i heard a thump as he struck at it and began eating, so very pleased and proud of my lil guy
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
luke24 Posted - 19/10/2011 : 13:43:30
thanks bats ill definitely be trying rat for his next feed then, he does seem a strange royal, not shy or timid but instead always glass dancing, prowling his viv or jus watching the world go by
n/a Posted - 19/10/2011 : 11:52:01
Hi, no, it's not a daft question at all. The main reason rats are preferred is because they grow bigger than mice and it's easier, when the royal is adult, to feed one appropriately sized rat, rather than several mice. The largest mouse only reaches 45g approx and if, as Blackecho's guide on here recommends, you feed 10/15% of the royal's bodyweight, you'll be needing several mice per meal once the royal reaches a decent weight.

Another good guide as to the size of rodent to feed is, feed one with girth no larger than the royal's girth. Hope this helps.
luke24 Posted - 19/10/2011 : 09:18:23
thank you for the warm welcome, daft question i know but whats the difference between mice and rats also what size as the small mouse was about right for his size,

thanks again
Tawfik47 Posted - 19/10/2011 : 08:34:25
CongRATS !!! and welcome to the forum ;)
hodgie Posted - 18/10/2011 : 17:41:13
welcome, as above get onto the right size rat asap
n/a Posted - 18/10/2011 : 17:15:36
Hi and welcome to the forum and congrats on the first feed; if he's an eager feeder could be a good idea to try him with a rat next time, sounds like you've got him well settled and happy.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000