The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royal python setup

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mark. Posted - 27/10/2011 : 11:22:58
Hi all . I have built a racking system with a unit from ikea one of the besta range , 3 shelves . I have a heat mat on each shelf and the probe set on the top heat mat . I have 5 royals all 2011 cb . 2 really usefull boxes at the top 2 in the middle and 1 at the bottom. My ambient room temperature is below the 82s and it's not overly warm at night . I set the pulse stat at 92 and the digital thermometer in the top rub at the hot end is only showing a temperature of between 88 and 90 . This is confusing as it keeps fluctuating . I'm thinking that I'm going to need to put a frame at the front of the unit and then put sliding glass doors on the front and maybe the ambient is conflicting with things . Is the pulse probe in the right position ? The heat mats cover 30% of the rubs . Any help would be great .
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mark. Posted - 07/11/2011 : 11:40:09
Hi all , as you know I have an Ikea unit converted into a rack , what I'm thinking is that I'm going to build an exact replica but bring it out further at the front so that I can put in some glass sliders and install 6 mm glass . Will this help with my low ambient room temperature as I can't run a oil radiator 24/7 . They are In 9 litre rubs and the unit is quite compact with the glass at the front . I know the heat mats don't heat thd air but 3 heat mats in a closed in rack ? Would this keep the rubs ok and the snakes . Hot end of rub is 90.4 fto 91.4 f and middle air temp of rub is 80.4 f and cool end of the rub is 79.9 f
Lotabob Posted - 29/10/2011 : 16:07:17
32-35 is OK, I find Duke prefers 32oC and it holds a better ambient but as its not a bulb I'm sure its fine.
Mark. Posted - 29/10/2011 : 14:21:57
Thanks for your advice lotabob . Went out and bought the a really usefull box ( the same size ) and made a small hold put the pulse stat at the hot end on top of the paper towel the same as all the other snakes rubs , luckily I don't have a snake in the rub as I have a spare . I have set the pulse stat to 90 and I have put an Exo terra digital thermostat in one of the snakes rubs at the hot end on top of the paper towel and it's out of the way of the snake as if the snake lays on it ( causes drop in temperature ). I'm getting a reading of 93.4 . - to 93.6 i have read that some people keep them at 34 degrees . Have some humidity in there as the fronts have misted a little ( not dripping ) . Is this temperature ok as its really testing my patience .
Lotabob Posted - 27/10/2011 : 13:51:32
The heat from the mat is having to go from the mat, throught the tiny air gap as RUB's have feet and then through any substrate in the RUB's before it has any effect on the snake's environment. The probe ideally needs to be stuck inside on the bottom of the RUB as that is the closest the snake will get to the heat, I also cover the probe with hot glue so it doesn't read any air temperature and only the heat from the mat (I used to run a RUB with the stat probe on the mat but the temp fluctuation was too much for my liking, now its inside the RUB its far better).

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000