The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Bloody non feeder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bella87 Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:03:10
So ive had my Royal since beginning of October and hasnt even fed yet (tried about 4/5 times now) he refuses food and just curls up in a ball.

Tried Braining and leaving in his tank over night covered but nothing.......

Anyone else have any suggestions??

Thank you

Emma x
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 03/11/2011 : 22:54:42
quote:
Originally posted by Bella87

dunno the temp as only use a heat mat, but the other tank says 26

You need to know the temps in a setup, how do you know its set up correctly? Are you using a stat? Where is this 26 reading taken from?
venommum2011 Posted - 03/11/2011 : 22:40:41
I'm very much a newbie but my girl wouldnt strike feed so I assist fed her, been researching and read that it's worth dipping the food in chicken stock first to make the scent a bit stronger which I tried tonight and Desting stuck fed within seconds so might be worth a bash.
karl Posted - 03/11/2011 : 22:22:53
Get a weight up, always helps make this easier to help.

For example I have just got a May 2010 cf royal feeding. Until two weeks ago it had never fed on its own.
I honestly think that the one thing that kick started the feeding response was adding critical care to the water. It provides the needed basics to aid the digestion system to work, within two weeks of adding critical care she started eating, voraciously!

The above obviously assumes temps are within range, there is nothing scaring the royal in sight, and that the "usual" checks have been done.

Should the snake actually be fine and just a breeding weight male with a decent amount of weight on him (and I still haven't seen a royal fast under 500g, not a real fast) my oldest male only eats for around 4 months of a year, yet is completely fine.

Did you have any feeding record before you got him? Was he fed on rats by the breeder? Are you heating the prey?

Should you start to see the snake loosing weight then there are things you can do from there, but we won't get ahead of ourselves......

I'm sure if you read the MANY threads on non feeding you will get plenty of good advise, just pick the thing that works for you.
Bella87 Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:58:18
im not sure on the measurements but he can almost fit the whole lenght across it, dunno the temp as only use a heat mat, but the other tank says 26 and they are the same setup with another male royal in(feeds really well), the inside isnt that dark he only has one hide.
Lotabob Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:50:38
Male Royals can be sexually mature from 6 months so it may be that he is just fasting as lots of males are at the moment. I don't think the move would still be a problem after so much time the setup might not be to his liking though which has prevented him settling. What size is the tub, and what temperatures do you have? Do you use a thermostat? Digital Thermometers? Is there plenty of cover (is the inside dark)?
Bella87 Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:38:14
Tried him on rat fuzzys and small mice i tried with today. i have read that they can be fussy feeders tho but our other one has fed twice since we got him on sunday but he is abit smaller than mine.

he is in a small plastic tub, heat mat, grass, water, hide, and ive tried him on orchid bark and now he on substraite.
Lotabob Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:33:00
How is he been kept? Setup?
n/a Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:31:09
Sounds like he's just settling in still - though I'd feel the same as you, would long to get a meal into him!

You could always try him on the smallest size rat (pup) as a smaller size meal can sometimes set them off, but I reckon he's still settling in, just taking his time and no cause for worry yet.
Bella87 Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:26:13
he is this yrs hatchling, so about 3/4months old, he is a nice size very chunky and alot of strenght in him just he wont eat.

ive never weighed him yet so i might have to do that and write it down every week see how it goes.

He is active tho always out having a nose in the evenings :)
n/a Posted - 03/11/2011 : 21:11:46
How old is he?

If my lot are anything to go by, fasting (mating season when they don't eat) is starting early this year.

Plus a change of home can knock a royal off feeding for a while.

Don't worry (easily said I know) but just keep offering every week (or fortnight for adult royal). A good tip is to heat the rat's head for 30 secs with a hairdryer, and if you can position it so that the ratty scent blows in through the open enclosure door, so much the better, often gets the royal appetite going.

They really are feast or famine snakes; they can last months with no food, but keep weighing him to make sure he's not losing a huge amount; they rarely do by the way.

All the best.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000