The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Rub or viv ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark_92 Posted - 05/11/2011 : 23:11:18
Hi just wandering out of intrest I currently have my royal ( biggie ) in a RUB atm she is about 2 and a half foot and was thinking about getting her a bigger RUB or a viv, is they're a big difference between the both or at they pretty much the same? Sorry if this has already been discussed in another topic I cannot find it. Thanks
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 06/11/2011 : 18:28:50
yep, sounds perfect. would go for vivexotic vivs as they tend to be the cheapest vivs around, and are excellent quality, and would either go for the lx or vx, is up to you (depends how many snakes you plan on getting )
would suggest surrey pet supplies to buy from, cheapest around and never have any problems with them
mark_92 Posted - 06/11/2011 : 18:27:22
Thanks for all the awnsers guys, I think im going to save some pennys away for a viv soon :), im thinking maybe a 3 foot long viv? dose that sound okay for her?
Ellie Posted - 06/11/2011 : 16:19:05
I have recently moved my girl from a RUB to a viv and have found that there are pros and cons for both.

RUBs are cheaper to buy and Id guess they are probably cheaper to heat aswell? I found it was much easier to keep the humidity up in the RUB, although occasionally I had the problem of it being too humid. RUBs are much easier to clean as you can move them around to get into all the corners, and they are slightly easier to spot clean aswell, as you are doing this from the top not the side.I also found it easier to watch Bambi moving around as the top and all of the sides were all see through, but maybe that's just me.

Vivs, on the other hand, look much more impressive and can be made to look alot more natural than a RUB. I have found it much easier to keep the temps correct using an infared bulb and dimmer stat than a heat mat and mat stat in the RUB. It is also easier to attach climbing branches etc in a viv as the wood is easier to screw through than plastic! Vivs are obviously more expensive than RUBs but if you shop around you can probably find some great second hand deals...and that will also save you assembling the viv (I got a great deal on a full viv setup from Blackecho on this forum - thanks again!)

So really it's just personal preference as to what you want to get out of your snake's home. (I personally prefer my viv)
reptiledanny Posted - 06/11/2011 : 10:37:05
its on you really
rubs are handy for if you plan on having a huge collection, and dont mind what it looks like, whereas vivs dont really minimize space, but you can do a bit more with them.
i have my female in a 64ltr rub, and she loves it, i have drilled 2 branches going across it as she likes to climb them, and and then some nice plastic plants, and it works, looks nice, and she is comfertable.
my male is in a 3ft viv, and that is again done up to looks nice, more for my view, but does provide some nice cover for him.
my female will be going into a viv eventually, but thats when i think she has outgrown her rub and needs that extra space, but we will see.
i will get a pic of the 2, as the rub is on top of the viv, which will show you what they look like
jonoandapril Posted - 06/11/2011 : 10:36:58
vivs all the way for me, never used rubs. mine all went from fauns (which admittedly were rubbish for humidity) to vivs as soon as they were around the right size. look better and feel more perminant.
chrisc Posted - 06/11/2011 : 08:08:55
personally i prefer viv's to rubs only used a rub for a couple of days an managed to get a 2ftx12"x1ft viv
n/a Posted - 05/11/2011 : 23:29:31
I think it's a matter of preference.

Rubs are cheaper, and a bit cheaper to set up ie heat mat/mat stat although dimmer is more accurate. But not as instantly eyecatching visually, although they may afford a royal more privacy, especially if draped with a towel.

However vivs will retain heat far better; a rub needs to be in a room with ambient temp equalling the cool side, I believe (I'm not an expert on rubs) as heat loss is greater; therefore, because in my house I can't guarantee a high ambient, and because I like to faff about creating an artistic appearance, I personally prefer vivs.

but it is all down to you.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000