The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help Heat Probs!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sam84 Posted - 09/11/2011 : 21:00:15
Have 3ft x 1 x 1 viv and Habistat dimming thermostat with 150w ceramic 'lucky reptile' bulb which was fine until the weather got crappy now temperature down to 28c - heating not on and think heat being lost to the room.
too early to put it on, we got jumpers and gas company money grabbing ******!!

suggestions.....?????

:)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sam84 Posted - 16/11/2011 : 12:44:17
it's a tricky balancing science :(
x
infatuateddrummer Posted - 12/11/2011 : 14:28:22
i got a 4ft x 1.5 viv and am struggling!! currently looking into a 250 watt ceramic bulb as it better to have too much then not enough, least the stat wont be running flat out all time as that costs alot of elec!!!
n/a Posted - 10/11/2011 : 11:52:40
I've never used ceramics, so know nothing about them, but yes, this is done with IR bulbs. In a 3' viv I use a 100w bulb on a dimmer stat - this strength of IR is more than adequate for this size of viv. In the summer, or when the fire's on, the bulbs dim to nearly nothing; when more heat is wanted, the reserve power's there.

Also I find that placing the stat probe further away from the bulb can raise reluctant temps ...the stat dial only goes up to 34c or something like that and stat dials are never accurate; you have to rely on your thermometer.

So, supposing you've got your stat turned all the way up and you can only coax 30c out of your bulb? Move the probe further towards the cool end and away from the bulb ...and the bulb, controlled by the stat, has to work harder and give out more heat. (Hope this makes sense!)

But of course if the bulb is wonky or underpowered, this won't work.

Hope this helps.
carlycorn Posted - 10/11/2011 : 07:55:54
I have the same problem, I only heat my house during the hours of 8-10am then 4-8pm because I can wear a jumper, its more for the kids.

My mat & stat is set to the maximum setting, simply because at the coldest that my house can get, if the stat was set correctly id only be getting temps of 27-19 which i think is low. So my mat stat is set to the max, I get 30-23 with the heating off but 35-27 with the heating on.

Ive found it quite a science over the past few days on how to get the exact right temperature, I move next week into my fully double glazed house so snakeys will be happier. A better constant room temp for them :)

I dont know how the bulb stats work but would it not be possible to get a bigger bulb but dull it down so it only produces so much temp?? I dont know how these things work, just my mat & stat which is prolly completely different!

markmifsud Posted - 09/11/2011 : 21:18:43
A 250w maybe too big for your 3x1x1. Is there a 200w ? I have a 250w in my 3x2x2 x2. current room temps are at 21c but my viv's never vary by more than 2f or 3f hot ends are always between 89 and 92. I did try a 150w ceramic a first but it wasnt keeping the temps even in the summer.
Sam84 Posted - 09/11/2011 : 21:14:04
28c is the warm end :S
stat shows reheating its nearly brand new
- what about exo terra heat emitter? or just get 250w?
xx
markmifsud Posted - 09/11/2011 : 21:08:16
28c is good for the cold end. Is the stat indicating that its supplying power all the time, ie no off/dim times? if so, it could be that your ceramic is on the way out.
Lotabob Posted - 09/11/2011 : 21:05:26
If you dont heat your house then the bulb will have to work harder in cold weather. The 150Watt ceramic I have gets you to about 33-34oC and no more in a warm room (my heating is on 24/7 on a thermostat to 17oC). You may need an upgrade in bulb wattage.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000