The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Bulb guards and IR.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Regalmatt Posted - 17/11/2011 : 16:16:51
Just wondering what make of bulb guards are good? They all seem very expensive! And what size/watt IR bulb should I use in a 4ft/1ft/1ft viv, cheers.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snecklifter Posted - 22/11/2011 : 12:17:09
I use a 100w IR bulb in our viv which is 2' by 1.5' by 1.5'. It works fine and has lasted months and months to date. Because its a high wattage bulb, when its up to temperature, it doesn't draw much power, as opposed to a lower wattage bulb which would be having to work harder.
Regalmatt Posted - 20/11/2011 : 10:09:29
Thanks guys, so about 6 or so inches from the end, but should it go towards the back of the viv or in middle?
blackskull Posted - 20/11/2011 : 09:11:16
i put my bulbs 6.5 inches in from the end, this gives me the right temps although i us ceramic not ir
boomslang Posted - 19/11/2011 : 22:00:10
is this a custom viv?as it's 4 foot long then only 19" high.Most pre made vivs are a set height in foot etc.How much ventilation does it have?and how warm does the room get where you keep it,Will all depend which bulb you end up getting.

Try a 150w that should do it.
Ellie Posted - 19/11/2011 : 21:41:23
Unfortunately I've only got the one royal chum so far so I'm not sure how strong a bulb you would need for a 4ft viv. You could try 100w and if it isn't keeping the temps up then upgrade to a higher wattage and keep the 100w for during the summer when you won't need the extra power?
Regalmatt Posted - 19/11/2011 : 21:24:40
It's 4ft long.perhaps I should try more than 100w then, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ellie Posted - 19/11/2011 : 20:32:31
What is the length of the viv? Mine is 3ft and I use a 100w IR bulb and it keeps the right temps fine...I did use a 75w bulb for a while but it struggled to keep the temps high enough when the room was cold so I upgraded. Although saying that, I'm in a student house without much heating so 75w would probably have been fine if we kept the house warmer! Sorry, I'm rambling...it will basically depend on the viv size and the general room temperature.
Regalmatt Posted - 19/11/2011 : 20:07:58
Yeah, wooden with the sliding doors. Do you reckon 100w IR bulb will do the job?and how close to one end should I fit it?
boomslang Posted - 19/11/2011 : 17:39:47
he's abit of then :P is it a wooden viv?
Regalmatt Posted - 19/11/2011 : 16:05:32
Haha, what a muppet I am, it's actually 19" high so that's perfect.when I spoke to the person I'm buying off they said roughly a foot!
Lotabob Posted - 19/11/2011 : 15:41:53
15" is the smallest height I've ever seen in a vivarium (vivarium as in wooden box with sliding glass doors). My smallest height in the stack is 18", I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that it would be very pokey.

The pro rep bulb guard is 16cm (just over 6 inch), the guidelines is to have 40cm between the bulb and the ground but you'd need a 2 foot tall vivarium to achieve it, its not practical.

I have always used this fella on Ebay for all my bulbs, very very good, quick delivery, well packaged and I've neevr had a problem with them, the first one I bought over a year ago blew the other day after I turned the stat down moving a new snake into the vivarium so over a years life and would have been longer I'm sure if it was just left alone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komodo-Spot-Bulb-Red-Infrared-Bulb-/170636483352?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&var=&hash=item6d6fd2a4a2#ht_500wt_1054
boomslang Posted - 19/11/2011 : 13:36:21
if it was a foot high,wouldn't any snake you put in there,still on a heatmat,Hence not even needing the bulb.A foot high is like an exo terra plastic terrarium.
Regalmatt Posted - 19/11/2011 : 10:19:12
Cheers guys, I just had a thought, if a viv is only a foot high is it still possible to put a heat bulb and guard in? Won't it be too close to the floor of the viv?
n/a Posted - 17/11/2011 : 16:58:13
Wow - that's an idea! Although no bigger than a conventional bulb guard, WAY cheaper, and as long as it can be lined safely with smaller mesh and fixed securely and safely to viv ceiling, definitely a good alternative!

I've got a load of weldmesh and have been toying with making a wood frame (would have to be varnished) with opening door for quick bulb changing; could work well for larger snakes and I could make the guard as huge as I liked ...erm, laziness has prevented me so far ...
mystra Posted - 17/11/2011 : 16:50:00
ooh oooh... someone on the dark side suggested using a metal cutlery holder that Wilko's sell as a bulb guard for enclosures of larger snakes (ie an adult boa ...smaller would get through of course)

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/769557-cost-effective-bulb-guards.html

although - it has been suggested to line it with mesh to prevent nosey snakeys sticking tongues into hot bulbs!

n/a Posted - 17/11/2011 : 16:37:34
I've just set up a 4' x 15" x16" viv with a 100w bulb, but am prepared to upgrade power - better too much than too little and stat will control it.

These are the cheapest guards that I've seen.

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/reptile-lamp-guards/

The Pro-Rep are definitely stouter; Repstyle are thinner wire but still pretty good - I would use one of theirs for a royal. NOT for a boa though, which I'm sure could crush it.

Blue Lizard, up till recently, have been selling large size Rep Style guards, at 10 or 11 quid but they seem to be sold out now ...that is another of my grumbles about guards - like you I think they're damn expensive, and also way too small! Grrrr!!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000