The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Is my reptile expert right??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
infatuateddrummer Posted - 18/11/2011 : 21:38:39
Hey just a quick one, i no i shouldnt doubt but there is no harm in asking!! my reptile lady the place where i brought damien said that there is never any need to feed your python bigger than a weiner rat even when fully grown??? mine is a male so unless she was just refferencing them but it just seemed bit wierd!! she has never been wrong yet mind and has helped me tonnes so hate myself for doubting! no harm in getting a second opinion

Thanks peeps
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
infatuateddrummer Posted - 21/11/2011 : 20:43:10
ah cheers blackskull put my mind at ease to be fair felt bad doubting her now i no i have no need too,
blackskull Posted - 21/11/2011 : 19:26:23
i feed my 15 month old pastel on the weaner rats they sell and she has no trouble with them, although she not eating at the mo. im not sure on her weight im rubbish at keeping records i have always gone by eye and her size looks good to me
infatuateddrummer Posted - 21/11/2011 : 18:58:46
yeah blackskull it was sam at aj reptiles, baring in mind little damien is only 18 month old so maybe she meant it for the time being and i got the wrong end of the stick!!! i need to weigh him but the little sod never stays still lol he seems happy on a weiner a week so i will stay as i am!!!
boomslang Posted - 20/11/2011 : 11:00:57
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Like I said, 'if I was you'.

I would always be a bit sceptical and cautious about a care sheet written by one person about how they do it rather than care sheets compiled from collective experience. I also wouldn't trust a care sheet with so many spelling mistakes in either.

Its takes approx 48-72 hours for the enzymes and stomach acids to break down the mouse (dependant on environmental factors) but that's not the end of the process, the absorption of the nutrients can take up to 10 days (dependant on the size of the meal and amount of nutrients). The stomach needs a small break between meals the same as any other snake.

I agree,like i said she's eating 3 times smaller meals then she should.Once she takes appropriate size prey,it will go down to once a week.And most of the morphs we have here,come from that guy with all the spelling mistakes.

http://www.hognoses.co.uk/?page_id=82 ok another without all the spelling mistakes.
blackskull Posted - 20/11/2011 : 09:17:05
was that aj reptiles?

never heard her say that to me when i go there and she knows what sizes i feed my royals, small rats for my male (they never seem to have the next size up when i go in) and weaners for my female
Lotabob Posted - 20/11/2011 : 00:44:26
Like I said, 'if I was you'.

I would always be a bit sceptical and cautious about a care sheet written by one person about how they do it rather than care sheets compiled from collective experience. I also wouldn't trust a care sheet with so many spelling mistakes in either.

Its takes approx 48-72 hours for the enzymes and stomach acids to break down the mouse (dependant on environmental factors) but that's not the end of the process, the absorption of the nutrients can take up to 10 days (dependant on the size of the meal and amount of nutrients). The stomach needs a small break between meals the same as any other snake.
boomslang Posted - 19/11/2011 : 13:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I wouldn't feed a snake every three days if I was you, its too close together. 5 days is about as close as you want the feedings even with undersized meals.

Id agree if it was an adult,but its not :P plus if it would take appropriate size meals once a week.which she won't atm.Sometimes its three days,sometimes its more depends.

http://extremehogs.com/Caresheet.html read the feeding bit.
Lotabob Posted - 19/11/2011 : 08:41:03
I wouldn't feed a snake every three days if I was you, its too close together. 5 days is about as close as you want the feedings even with undersized meals.
boomslang Posted - 18/11/2011 : 23:28:09
as above,same snakes won't take larger prey items.however if you're feeding a large snake tiny weaners each week,when it would take a larger rat and need it,then it would be wrong info.

I feed my hognose smaller pinkies every 3 days,rather then one fluff once a week atm.All depends on the snake like bats said.
Lotabob Posted - 18/11/2011 : 23:23:46
Its not doubt its questioning and there is never any harm in not taking the first answer as gospel.

I would say there may be an element of truth in it. An adult that is not growing and has adequate fat reserves could I'm sure survive purely on the calories etc of a weaner rat a week. Duke hasn't eaten anything but one weaner rat since August and he has put weight on, not a massive amount but still a gain. I'm not clued up on the whole calory content of the different sizes of rat but I think 1 weaner rat a week would be more than 1 bigger item every 2 weeks.
n/a Posted - 18/11/2011 : 21:44:23
We-e-ll ...

Does depend on royal's weight ...the famous Blackecho guide is, 10/15% of the royal's weight.

I have a 1200g lad who will eat a medium rat.

However I've read that even an appropriately sized prey item may well put some royals off - in this case a smaller rat, such as a weaner, fed more frequently, can't do any harm imo.

Honestly I think it depends on the snake, and what it will accept.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000