The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 What size heat mat should I get for this set up?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rachel Posted - 22/11/2011 : 21:16:21
Hi, could anyone advise me as to what size heat mat or heat strip I should use? I'm thinking about setting up a new vivarium which will just hold young royals in 5 litre rubs.

The vivarium I've bought is 24X15X15" so it should hold 4/6 small rubs. I'll be placing them lenghways in three rows, with the warm end at the back of the viv and the cool end at the front.

If I'm putting the heat mat or strip on the back wall of the viv, with either a mat stat or dimmer, what sort of size mat do I need?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rachel Posted - 23/11/2011 : 11:39:53
Thanks for your answers. Sorry I forgot to say this would only be used for quarantining new royals.

I thought this might work out simpler than building a rack as I could move one of the royals into it afterwards, and I've heard its more difficult to keep the heat stabilised with a rack unless you have a dedicated rep room with a high ambient temperatue?
boomslang Posted - 22/11/2011 : 22:24:02
quote:
Basically I don't think it will work very well, you could buy some wood and build a rack far easier and big enough to house snakes in something bigger than 5 litre RUBS.
sounds overly complicated,if the vivs only 2 foot,what are you going to do with said snakes when they get bigger?

or is it to hold babies,that will be sold on?
Lotabob Posted - 22/11/2011 : 22:05:36
5 litre Rub's would barely hold young corn snakes for more than a month or 2.

If you're putting the heat mat on the back wall you'd need a mat the size of the back to provide enough heat at the back for all the RUB's.

If you're converting it with shelves then heat cable or strips would be better to go underneath the RUB, I've never heard of heat tape used for small jobs other than the reflective heat tape you put on shelves before running heat cables.

Basically I don't think it will work very well, you could buy some wood and build a rack far easier and big enough to house snakes in something bigger than 5 litre RUBS.
boomslang Posted - 22/11/2011 : 21:57:52
Why didn't you just buy a small rack type thing to hold the rubs?instead of a much more expensive viv.

Heat tape sounds good
markmifsud Posted - 22/11/2011 : 21:20:25
I think you should be looking at heat tape rather than mats

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000