The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Callingtons mite spray

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Regalmatt Posted - 28/12/2011 : 20:02:49
Hi guys, after a suspected outbreak of mites I have bought and decided to use Callingtons, now I've done some research on this 'wonder stuff' but am interested how and if people use it
I read that people have used it directly on their snakes with no I'll effect?
Can I spray wood with it? ( hides etc)?
Can I spray fake plants?
My plan is to remove all substrate and water bowl, Hoover out viv, wash down with 'deep clean' reptile housing cleaner, then spray Callingtons.should I remove hides and climbing branches and treat separately or spray while they in viv? I was going to spray Callingtons on a cloth and rub down snake, then replace substrate with kitchen roll for a week and put water bowl back after 24 hrs, does this sound ok?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Regalmatt Posted - 31/12/2011 : 11:45:24
Well, I treated the tank and snake yesterday with callingtons and there is not a hint of a mite, dead or alive, I heard of people saying they virtually saw the mites dying and evidence of the dead, but I haven't a speck anywhere, I think maybe I was just being paranoid and didn't have mites at all,(relief!) her bathing antics must be due to something else! Thanks guys for all your advice, it's much appreciated!
jonoandapril Posted - 29/12/2011 : 11:14:50
i just took everything out down to the minimum and used paper towels as substrate, then misted the viv with the collingtons. remeber to remove the water bowl as the can says tho, dotn want your snakes drinking bad water!
Regalmatt Posted - 28/12/2011 : 22:52:11
I'm happy to hear of all experiences? And successes! Just glad there's loads of both on this forum!
blackskull Posted - 28/12/2011 : 22:26:25
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

You can bath the mites off a snake with just water no chemicals needed. You treat the enclosure. Freezing won't kill eggs you have to cook them, fried or poach will do but baked in the oven is better though to stop an infestation I'd be tempted to just write off anything you cant boil and bake and bin it/make a bonfire. I wouldn't go to massive expense until you can confirm mites though, strip everything out, bath the snake, and give it a day or three on kitchen roll, you'll soon know if you have mites.

you learn something new every day, i just guessed that freezing would kill the eggs. in my defence i never had mites return after doing this
Regalmatt Posted - 28/12/2011 : 22:16:50
Thanks lotabob, to be honest I'm still not 100% it is mites, I only found what I thought was 1 on snake,and her frequent bathing, but the seed has been sowed in my mind and I'd rather be safe than sorry!! What would the cooking instructions for wood /bark be?
Lotabob Posted - 28/12/2011 : 22:06:56
You can bath the mites off a snake with just water no chemicals needed. You treat the enclosure. Freezing won't kill eggs you have to cook them, fried or poach will do but baked in the oven is better though to stop an infestation I'd be tempted to just write off anything you cant boil and bake and bin it/make a bonfire. I wouldn't go to massive expense until you can confirm mites though, strip everything out, bath the snake, and give it a day or three on kitchen roll, you'll soon know if you have mites.
blackskull Posted - 28/12/2011 : 21:22:10
yeah wash and freeze the lot thats what i have done in the past. i would guess that freezing kills the eggs, i have used wood, hides, fake plants in vivs after doing that and not seen any mites.

it might be worth getting some frontline in the spray bottle and treat the floor around the viv as mites will travel. i guess you could use the callingtons to treat the floor but we had a bottle of frontline kicking around so i used that
Regalmatt Posted - 28/12/2011 : 21:17:11
Cheers Rob, can I wash and freeze wood/bark and fake plants? Will freezing it kill any mites/eggs?
blackskull Posted - 28/12/2011 : 20:11:16
i would remove everything from the viv then deep clean viv. i washed all decor then put it in the freezer for a few days.

as you say i used kitchen roll or newspaper, but i used it for about 3wks. used boxes for hides

i didn't spray it or rub it on the snake,i just removed them sprayed the viv then put them back after 15mins

this way worked a treat for me first time on 2 occasions but i still repeated the process after 7 days

you can spray it into a fully furnished viv, i do this when i buy a new snake, although i didn't when i brought my boa home

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000