The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help. Heat mat or Ceramic heaters?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gamble Posted - 02/01/2012 : 21:41:25
Was just wondering what is your preference people, I personally use mats for my crawlies but maybe I should change to overhead heating. What are advantages and disadvantages of both in your opinion. I just want my little guys to be as comfortable as possible. Anyone had bad experience with "heat reflecting" while using mat for bigger bodied snakes? Any help welcome :)
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
karl Posted - 03/01/2012 : 08:30:11
Air heat all the time over mats. I have a few still on mats at the mo so need to heat the room to ensure ambient temps stay good. In a warm house mats do their thing, but they are only contact heaters, which isn't really what you want with an African snake.
Strangely my ceramic'd animals eat better than the two that are left on mats. I do have one that is on a mat but has quite a hear soak from the viv below, so has good ambient temps and that one does well too.

Increased ambient and air temps are one of the best ways to safeguard against RIs etc too, it's scary how cool the air temps can get late at night (when heating has gone off etc) with heat mats.
Regalmatt Posted - 02/01/2012 : 23:06:00
I'm with BATS on the IR thing,ive only had my girl for a few weeks(had a corn for a while now though) my royal is 4 years old and big! And was on a mat when I got her and had been apparently for a very long time, I changed to IR immediately, guarded and statted of course, and I have no stress and just let the therms and stat do its thing! Don't know much about ceramic heaters but would presume they're similar to ir without the light, I like the light- good for night time viewing!
mystra Posted - 02/01/2012 : 22:19:07
heat mats are great when used with RUB tubs and faunariums (ie they're place under the tub itself, not inside) but when it comes to vivs you'd have to put the mat inside... and you can bet your last rat pup they will wee/poo all over the things!

i'm in the process of setting up my vivs... i'm going to be trying out a reptile radiator in the first that get's finished, see how it performs and go from there... i like the look of them as they're flat and on the ceiling of the viv... they say they don't get hot to the touch but a guard IS recommended, and a stat of course!. they're quite expensive though at about £40 for the radiator and £10 for the guards at Surrey Pets, but i only have the three snakes to kit out (and i'm going overboard as i have no life LOL) and i don't like the look of the whole bulb/ceramic thing hanging down in the way.... such a snob LOL!
n/a Posted - 02/01/2012 : 21:52:33
Hi, I like infra-red personally, though I've got a ceramic in one viv. Yes, there's always the danger of thermal blocking with heavy bodied snakes on mats in vivs, even when the mat's statted, but my biggest objection to mats is snake wee. You try cleaning a large baked wee off a mat (and getting rid of the smell.) And of course it dries out so fast - you can see urates and other mess but you can't tell where the wet was ...but your nose sure can ... Plus mats aren't entirely waterproof.

Apart from small corns, my personal choice is an overhead heating source, guarded and statted of course, and keep mats for under rubs if I use them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000