The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Defrosting Mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 06/01/2012 : 11:14:18
I thought it'd be interesting to compare how we defrost frozen mice/rats.

For our two, who are both on small mice we pop the mice in individual freezer bags and then place in a cup of very hot water from the tap for 20 mins.

I leave the bag in the water until ready to feed..after making sure it's thawed (Squishy) and not too hot I get the tongs and its gone lol

How do you prepare yours?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptilemadd Posted - 07/01/2012 : 18:43:25
My weaners I usually take out and defrost in a bowl for about 6/7 hours then dip their heads in freshly boiled water dry off quickly and feed, the smaller ones the same but only take them out about4/5 hours before..
matco Posted - 07/01/2012 : 17:21:05
Mine come packed in handy little bags, I usually take straight from freezer fill with hot from the tap, leave 15/20mins then replace with more hot water from tap to get the temp really nice and warm making sure mouse is squigy, they are only small mice 20g so works well, not sure would work on bigger food as it wouldn't heat through. Can't leave mice out at mine as cats may take them, also don't know if it increases chances of bacteria increasing in the mouse or wether or not this is bad for the snake. Apparently risk of bacteria is highest between 5 and about 30 degrees so the longer you keep it at that temp the higher risk you have according to food hygiene course years ago lol
scott da bot Posted - 06/01/2012 : 17:14:24
I get my mice out of the freezer in the morning and leave them to defrost all day and feed in the evening.
I usually put them in a bag in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes before I offer them to Betsy.
However on Wednesday I offered her the mouse without putting it in the hot water and she just wasn't interested,I put the mouse in hot water for 5 minutes and bang she took it without hesitation
blackskull Posted - 06/01/2012 : 16:26:00
rats i place in a tub in the fridge the night before. the mice i take out in the morning place in a tub then put both tubs on top of a viv before i go to work. feed about 6-7 warm up before offering with hair drier
jimmer7 Posted - 06/01/2012 : 16:19:01
I take a small mouse out in morn,rap in kitchen towel and place on top of viv,cold end,and its allready for feeding at 7.30pm,then i just dip its head in warm water,dab off excess water and offer,worked for me so far.
Vinny Posted - 06/01/2012 : 16:00:27
I put our hugos rats in a sandwich bag (or similar) and put in jug of warm/hot tap water for half hour or so then hair dryer the head for about 30secs or so.
chrisc Posted - 06/01/2012 : 15:51:54
i defrost mine in warm water for half hour or so but longer if its a huge rat for my big lad derek
austin_89 Posted - 06/01/2012 : 14:38:11
I defrost mine in warm water for 20 mins (Unless it takes longer to thaw) then dry it off and feed it to Kane, then if after a while he hasnt taken it i put it under a hair dryer for few mins to warm it up again!
Lotabob Posted - 06/01/2012 : 12:57:41
I just sit them out on tinfoil for a few hours. I dont like to defrost them quickly as they have a greater chance of still having ice inside which will mess up a cold blooded animal. that and fast defrosted or defrosted in too warm an environment will have a much higher chance of popping and spilling guts everywhere, no pretty.
n/a Posted - 06/01/2012 : 11:36:13
The big mice and the royals' rats, I put in a plastic bag and leave overnight in the fridge to make sure they're thoroughly defrosted, then next day put in a warm place - top of the fishtank, bowl on top of the gas fire, anywhere that's just pleasantly warm and turn them after a while, when room temperature or just lukewarm, feed as they can't be kept hanging about after that. (I warm the rats' noses with a hairdryer just before feeding of course.)

Tiny mice like pinks or fuzzes I leave in a plastic bag again in a warmish place to defrost same day, but if I'm feeling lazy I'll just stick 'em in with the bigger ones overnight. There's only Cy on fuzzies these days; the '11 babies Shadrach and Shiloh would eat ME if I gave them chance lol.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000