The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 shedding tips

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jimmer7 Posted - 13/01/2012 : 23:29:53
Hi my first snake.i think its getting ready to shed.went very dull colout,now skin looks like got blue shine to it,eyes are clear,i have put moss box in,is there anything else i can do.is that right i can put damp cloth in at hot end aswell.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jimmer7 Posted - 14/01/2012 : 17:48:35
Hi i am trying bit of everything,got moss box at hot end,damp cloth on hid and light mist just on silk plants.also going to move water bowl.
chrisc Posted - 14/01/2012 : 12:09:57
he will sort himself eventually, he gets his head off then it breaks up. at least hes happy to let me help him
n/a Posted - 14/01/2012 : 12:00:37
The only time I tried moss hides, Shahi used them as a urinal and I don't mist as vivs aren't waterproof, and anyway I'm a lazy git lol. Like a lot of people I've seen some bad sheds recently, colubrids as well as royals, even though my heating's never on ('ard woman!) so what I do now is leave the royals' water bowls permanently in their hot ends and that seems to be working for me - Saada had a perfect shed last week, bless her.

As you get to know the snake you'll find what works for a good shed and what routine suits you, all the best.

Hi, Chris, I wouldn't give up hope about Derek's shedding - as you know Surahi had a badly scarred belly when I got her, and she sheds well. Derek's scars have really improved, judging by his last pics - hope he sheds ok for you next time.
chrisc Posted - 14/01/2012 : 11:13:24
i used a moss bow with the little one but never saw him use it so dont bother with him now i just mist the viv
jonoandapril Posted - 14/01/2012 : 11:10:20
moss boxes are the way forward imo, dont ever really mist unless the humidty drops to much myself.
chrisc Posted - 14/01/2012 : 09:11:00
with my 2 i put the water bowl in the hot end and mist 2-4 times a day. the little one has shed perfect the last 2 times but the big lad seems to be a bad shedder, will use a moss box with him next time but im wondering if the bad sheds are because of the scars hes got
Lotabob Posted - 14/01/2012 : 01:21:14
First one is always the worrying one but even a terrible shed is fixable so really you dont have to worry too much. For my lot I used to just need a damp cloth over the hot hide but this winter (the heating) seems to have the humidity quite low and I have needed to spray too. My Royal had an awful shed about a month ago, quite literally exploded out of his old skin but a quick wriggle in a damp pillowcase and the old shed came off within a few hours of been left back in his vivarium. The good news is it would be quite difficult to cause problems while raising humidity in the short time they are shedding without doing something drastic.
mark_92 Posted - 13/01/2012 : 23:56:00
you could move the snakes water bowl in the hot side, and maybe mist the viv/rub every other day with a spray bottle. Except from that you should be okay with the moss box.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000