The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 still not eating - update picssss

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hannah2016 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 11:00:22
okay so my baby still hasnt eaten for me at all. its been about a month now. not too worried as i know royals act like this.
havent been in any of the forums latly so i thought id put some pics up:

and he shed for me perfect - so ill get some pics up of that at some point too.
Enjoy
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GMac Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:14:24
Probably not gonna be popular, but dont handle your royal until it has fed. Just leave it in the viv. Sorry may seem harsh but it helps
Lotabob Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:06:12
Is that the snakes vivarium in the background?
n/a Posted - 17/01/2012 : 15:24:29
Yes, the shop ought to be able to advise and help - good luck with him.

Thanks, Cy, the corn, is actually putting on weight now, I'm very pleased with her, but it's taken almost 2 years; she hatched with only one eye (full name Cyclops) and I bought her because I thought no-one else would have her - she's a right little character, but she looks like a last year's hatchling, bless her.
hannah2016 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 14:58:44
Thanks, im gonna keep trying for another month or just untill it warms up, then if he still doesnt eat ill take him back to the shop. Thanks for the advice, and good luck with your fussy corn lol
n/a Posted - 17/01/2012 : 14:35:01
Ah - my Shahi was about the same age as yours when he started going off his grub in his first winter, and he did a complete fast, so it may be that. Yes, just keep offering, but could be a good idea to get some scales (I use the Salter ones, 10 quid from Argos, they do the job) and monitor his weight. A loss of 10% of bodyweight and it would be wise to get help, such as learning how to assist feed - but that is a worst-case scenario, it rarely comes to that.

I've never found a brained rodent ever tempt any of my snakes, although I know it should usually work. Braining's not too bad. Either take the rodent when it's half defrosted and snip a tiny hole in the top of the head with scissors (not too messy that way, only like cutting up half defrosted chicken) or get a small sharp knife and pierce upwards into the roof of the rodent's mouth. Just think of it as meat you're chopping up.

One of my corns has always been a faddy madam, and she will NOT eat unless I get a pair of scissors and half-sever the mouse's neck at the back of its head ...whether this is a variation on braining I don't know, but it's the only way I can get her to eat ...strange snake lol.

All the best with him.
hannah2016 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 14:13:58
Problem with the shed is that it was weeks ago. And I dont have any digital scales, so I cant weigh him properly. And I thought he was a bit too boney, but left it as the first time I put up pics everyone said he looked like a good eater. I also dont know his age, but been told hes about 5-6 months. Iv tryed different ways of feeding. Left him in a tub with it for over an hour, left it in his viv over night, heat it with a hair dryer, heat it in warm water like I do with flickas and I also tryed just heating the head, as iv been told the heads the warmest part. I really dont want to try braining but if you can tell me how to do it ill try. He just acts afraid of it lol
n/a Posted - 17/01/2012 : 13:56:16
Hi, he's a bonny lad. How old is he now? I would keep an eye on his weight (unless you're already doing that) just to be on the safe side, but hopefully now he's shed (congrats on that) he'll settle in and start eating for you.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000