The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
austin_89 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 14:31:05
Is there an average amount of time from when a royal first goes blue to when they actually shed?
Mines been blue for days now and his eyes are really cloudy so am just wondering when to expect the shed, he's only shed once with me before but i was away so didnt see how he went. For three days he's been curled up under his log which is up the warmer end of his viv but has been getting ready to shed for about a week...
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
austin_89 Posted - 25/01/2012 : 14:05:46
Thanks im just glad it all came off in one.

Gonna weigh him today before he gets fed he's only been on rats a couple of weeks but seems to be heavier.
n/a Posted - 25/01/2012 : 13:17:07
Don't know ...royal sheds seem to be a lot damper than colubrid sheds (although one of my corns regularly leaves a wet shed) and while colubrids like to come out into the open and slide smoothly out of their kit, royals seem to like to skulk in their hides, like a modest lady in a changing cubicle, and so whether it's the fact that there's not much room in there, that it all gets rolled off in one tight lump ...I really don't know.

Congrats on the shed - sounds a really good one!
austin_89 Posted - 25/01/2012 : 11:55:28
I already managed to unroll it and ive taken him out and checked him over, eyecaps and tail tip have come off along with the rest of it and he's all smooth and shiny now

How does it get all rolled up like that?
n/a Posted - 25/01/2012 : 09:50:01
Cool! The rolling up is a specialite de royal - if you mist the skin lightly it can be unrolled and you can check the eyecaps and tailtips (most important bits) are off.

Sounds like a decent shed to me!
austin_89 Posted - 25/01/2012 : 08:16:12
So it seems he's shed fully but it's all rolled up? What's all that about?
Lorraine Posted - 24/01/2012 : 23:36:22
Hope it's a goodun austin.
austin_89 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 16:40:44
Ohh well i can only see his body without disturbing him and it looks shiny but i couldnt see any shed so i lifted up his log and his head is still really dull and his eyes still really cloudy...

I've tried feeding him since being blue but he's really not interested.

Thanks i hope its a normal shed aswell
n/a Posted - 24/01/2012 : 16:13:39
Ah, sorry - I meant after the snake's eyes clear from blue; a couple of days before the actual shed, the snake looks totally normal and even shiny skinned - with one of my first corns, I really thought she'd shed and eaten it like a lizard lol.

Mind you the same corn, last summer, went blue ...and cleared ...and didn't shed for 2 months!!! She was absolutely fine, and eating well and lively, but that was weird. I bottomed her viv, searching for a shed, but no shed for weeks.

I have a private theory that young snakes sometimes do have poor sheds. I think Shahi, as a hatchling, had three 'shreds' despite upping the humidity and after that he was fine, but I keep his water bowl in his warm end permanently now.

Fingers crossed for a fine shed!
austin_89 Posted - 24/01/2012 : 15:49:05
I've moved his water bowl to the hot end and he has a moss box in and i mist his tank. What do you mean after clearing?

Just dont want a repeat of his last shed, it was a right mess!
n/a Posted - 24/01/2012 : 15:20:42
Hi, I tend to calculate a week or so from the first dustiness to actual shed, but this isn't a hard and fast rule.

I can usually predict that the snake will shed 2 days after clearing - but, again, 'usually' is the keyword here - they're all different lol.

Good luck with his shed - and it's a good idea to put his water bowl, or an extra bowl of water, in his hot end to raise humidity a little, well that's what works for me. All the best.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000