The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Mating season

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
austin_89 Posted - 26/01/2012 : 14:40:10
When does mating season end?

My royal has refused his last 3 feeds which is unlike him, was just wondering if it could be because its mating season... I've read on here a lot of royals fast at this time?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sultanheart Posted - 28/01/2012 : 10:26:08
thanx for the info.. thats explain why rasha is fasting too.. 46 days no food at all.. but i am not worried now.. thanx to all!! =)
austin_89 Posted - 26/01/2012 : 16:10:55
He doesnt come out of his hide that often anyway, he'll poke his head out and have a little peak but then goes back in so i have to lift his hide to see him. But I've been told that the fact he rarely comes out is a good thing, it means he feels safe and secure? When he does come out he just kinda folds himself up behind his tree, on his log or actually climbs up his tree but after a couple of hours he's straight back on his hide...

He doesn't mind me lifting his hide and taking him out though.

Yeah you have helped, thanks
n/a Posted - 26/01/2012 : 15:53:34
Best stick to rats, as those are best for him size and nutrition-wise and if he's fasting he won't be tempted to anything else. I think of it as a sort of hibernation - it's completely natural for royals and they often lose very little weight.

The handling I think depends on him. He may become totally unsociable and you'll have to haul him out of his hide just to check he's alive lol. I have 3 fasting atm and never see them. But there again, he may roam round looking sociable. Personally I think it does no harm to have him out for armchair walkies if he asks, although some people don't handle their royals during the fast, except for a quick weekly checkover.

Hope this helps.
austin_89 Posted - 26/01/2012 : 15:28:54
Ok thanks if after a couple of weeks he's still not eating should i offer him a different food or just stick to the rats?

Should i still take him out for his normal handling? Or just leave him to go about his business?
n/a Posted - 26/01/2012 : 15:16:27
Hi, the fast and mating season tend to be a bit flexible, but yes, it's highly likely he's doing the big fast - you're right, many royals are at the moment. Just keep offering him a meal every 10 days, and by spring he'll be eating well again.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000