The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New to this!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
prmdc098 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:07:01
Hi all. New to the forum just joined today. So I'm about to by a python. A royal and I was looking for some tips and advice for a first timer. What to buy in preparation and where is best to buy from. Also what age of python to buy been told to get one a little bit older than a baby say a few months but not sure so wanted some advice. I know the shop will advise me but i wanted other opinions to. Thanks guys much appreciated.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 03/02/2012 : 00:57:25
Heats mats are OK for small Royal Pythons (in my opinion that's under 500 Grams) or in a RUB setup where the snake is not in contact with the mat. In a vivarium setup the heat mat would be inside and so the snake could be directly touching the mat, because Royals are heavier bodied snakes a situation called thermal blocking can occur, basically a heat mat creates X amount of heat constantly any any point on the mat, this heat is then dispersed into the wood underneath, the substrate, air and when a big fat Royal sits on the mat it also goes into them if the heat cant disperse quick enough into the surroundings because its tightly pressed between the wood that is an insulator and the snakes belly the heat cant get out of the mat quick enough so it begins to heat the mat further than it was designed to go and far hotter than the snakes belly can cope with. Snakes dont react to heat like we do, if we touch something hot we instantly recoil a snake will sit there and burn because their body is colder than the specific area burning which is why we also use guards on bulbs too. Short story if its a vivarium (wooden box with sliding glass doors) you go for then you would be better off heating with a bulb, saves having to change things as they grow, if you use a generic plastic tub of some sort then a heat mat is pretty much the only option (there are other heating methods for more complex housing systems but stick to the basics for now).

(A RUB is a brand of plastic tub called Really Useful Boxes, they have locking handles and are available in many sizes so are favoured by snake keepers)

As above lots of cover is in my opinion essential to help the snake feel secure, the more the better. This is my Royal's vivarium, he is 4 foot long and he can move around pretty much unseen (except when he is just getting put back then his fat bum is obvious)

And this is my tip of the week, nip to Dunelm mill and buy the fake foliage there its dirt cheap and much better looking than the rubbish they specifically call 'vivarium decorations' and then if it gets mucky, bung it in a pillow case tie it closed with a shoe lace and stick it in the washing machine lol.

Danno91 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 23:44:09
Burns the belly of the snake.

The only time I see heat mats advised is when some1 is trying to sell them .(in my opinion)

prmdc098 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 23:32:37
why not a heat mat, and thanks for the other info thats great
Danno91 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 23:28:33
I'm not a expert but in my opinion you need a viv, 2 hides, waterbowl big enough for the snake to bath in, heat lamp and bulb with thermostat (watt of bulb depends on size of viv)
2 thermometers (digital for better reading) hydrometer (again digital)

If you getting young snake it's advised you use paper or kitchen roll as bedding altho I did not do this myself
Aldosterone depending on the viv you get depends what you need to fill it out if you go the route I have gone a large fish tank converted then you need alot of branches and leaves so the snake does not get scared (many advise against this method)

After all my reading I had alot of conflicting information and found that there is alot of bad advice on google, but here's some things to remember
Do not use heat mat,
Use a thermostat

Also I'll advise you get the tank set up prior to to buying the snake so you can test temps

Hope this helped
prmdc098 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:47:43
so what would you say are my essentials say for example i went tomorrow with cash, im not cause i dont get paid till next week haha but lets say i was what do i need to be comming home with if im getting the snake tomorrow.
Lotabob Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:38:40
Yeah its always advisable to get feeding records for any snake you get, Royals can be a bit fussy and a lot do go off their food for a bit when they are moved to a new enclosure, its totally normal though and they usually start to eat after a week or two.

Its best to know what you want, write a list and stick to it, dont let them sell you anything you dont need or not sell you something essential. I say not sell you something as for some reason a lot of shops will sell you a 'starter kit' but it will be missing the thermostat, pretty much the most important bit of kit, it keeps the temperatures right, stops it been too hot or too cold which is vital for a cold blooded animal that their temperatures are perfect.

On a more fun note, Royal Pythons make brilliant pets, they are manly docile, they are easy to handle, very low maintenance, they poop maybe once every 2-4 months so they are very clean and then they are just fascinating animals to look after in general, from them shedding their skin to their incredible strength. I have what is known as a 'fussy' Royal, a bit shy wont eat in public etc but he is the nicest, easiest to handle, and laid back snake ever.
prmdc098 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:30:26
i might check out some sites like gumtree then are there any other yous can advise on. Would be handy to get a bargin but then also i do want to start a fresh. Dam decisions haha.
n/a Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:27:55
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Another thing you will find is not all shops provide good advice, in fact quite a lot will give you wrong information or half the information, they are also likely to massively inflate prices specially to a new comer.

Well, yes, that is true - that's why I said a GOOD shop ...but if in doubt ask on here - one of us might be able to tell you if it's ok.
prmdc098 Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:26:06
Ah thanks for that, yea i did read the care sheet like 5 times really dont want mess up. Oh god youve scared me now haha i might pretend i know what i am on about then. Or just ask prices first before i start saying im new that way they wont know. going to a shop tomorrow to get a price list theres 3 in my area so going to do a bit of comparing. I was in the other day just looking and i heard one of the shop people saying about ages and its upto yourself she was saying but sometimes getting one a week months older than a baby might be an idea because you will know if they have had any issues with eating and stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Hi and welcome to the forum. The caresheet just before entering the forum is the best place to start, it gives you all the beginner facts, temperatures etc.

As to what age you get, thats entirely upto you. Hatchlings (babies) are obviously much smaller and tend to be cheaper but if you have no preference there are lots of unwanted adult Royals out there that you may be able to pick up with the vivarium for a bargain but sopecially on gumtree, full setup is very very unlikely to be correct and be prepared to spend money putting it right.

Another thing you will find is not all shops provide good advice, in fact quite a lot will give you wrong information or half the information, they are also likely to massively inflate prices specially to a new comer.

n/a Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:25:12
Hi and welcome. This thread has loads of info for a new royal keeper -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5183

The young royals about at present will be a bit older than hatchlings - the new babies won't be coming on to the market for a while. Possibly you've been advised to buy a slightly older royal because hopefully he or she will have a more established feeding record - but most hatchlings do feed well.

For an adult royal, Preloved is a good bet - so many people lose interest and sell their royal on with setup - and some are real bargains - I got an adult, with viv and excellent setup, for £150.

If you prefer to buy from a shop or breeder, a good shop or breeder will help and advise and provide reliable feeding and shedding records.

Hope this helps but don't hesitate to keep on asking questions.
Lotabob Posted - 02/02/2012 : 22:20:56
Hi and welcome to the forum. The caresheet just before entering the forum is the best place to start, it gives you all the beginner facts, temperatures etc.

As to what age you get, thats entirely upto you. Hatchlings (babies) are obviously much smaller and tend to be cheaper but if you have no preference there are lots of unwanted adult Royals out there that you may be able to pick up with the vivarium for a bargain but sopecially on gumtree, full setup is very very unlikely to be correct and be prepared to spend money putting it right.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000