The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Too soon for rats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanieW Posted - 04/02/2012 : 13:08:12
I phoned Triple 8 reptiles for advice on weaner rats..the guy I spoke to said its best to go through the sizes of mice to Jumbos before switching to weaner rats.
He said I could switch to rat pups, but that with all their snakes they move from Jumbo mice to weaner rats.

They were the cheapesyt supplier I found, including ebay with delivery costs under £6 for 25 rats.

I had wanted to switch, but i'll be patient
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JanieW Posted - 05/02/2012 : 15:29:02
Thanks guys :)

I think what i'll do is order 25 rats from triple 8 tomorrow and ask which is the closest in size to a large mouse. I'll ask first as every supplier seems to sell different weights etc. then I can blame them lol

I want to change Slinky too, but he's still on small mice.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2012 : 23:40:55
quote:
Originally posted by richard v

[quote]Originally posted by JanieW

They are closed now, but Monday i'll order 25 rat pups..cheaper than 25 large mice from pets at home even with delivery:)

Its for Fea, and he just ate his first large mouse. It was the first time I fed him without help lol and I put him in his feeding tub, but he would not release my watch strap lol so I had to lift him back out to untangle his tail..he had twined the tip under the strap and coiled it.

Thanks everybody for replying :)
Hi janie, just thought I would mention that rat pups are normally the smallest type of rat
you can purchase, an if I'm reading correctly they are for your boa
they would possibly be to small, from what I remember rat pup weights
start around 3 to 4gms up to 10 to 12 ish . Just don't Want you wasting your money.

My god yes - never spotted that, Richard! Also didn't realise you wanted the rats for Fea, Janie, but the principle's the same - rats will be more suitable for him.

Here are the (approximate) weights given by one of my suppliers for rats and mice -

small mouse - 9g ..........rat pup - 9g
medium mouse - 20g ........rat fluff - 19g
large mouse 45g............small rat weaner - 37g
...........................medium rat weaner - 45g

I find that medium mice are sometimes known as 'regular' and large or jumbo mice are known as 'ex-breeders'. Hope this helps.
richard v Posted - 04/02/2012 : 23:21:11
[quote]Originally posted by JanieW

They are closed now, but Monday i'll order 25 rat pups..cheaper than 25 large mice from pets at home even with delivery:)

Its for Fea, and he just ate his first large mouse. It was the first time I fed him without help lol and I put him in his feeding tub, but he would not release my watch strap lol so I had to lift him back out to untangle his tail..he had twined the tip under the strap and coiled it.

Hi janie, just thought I would mention that rat pups are normally the smallest type of rat
you can purchase, an if I'm reading correctly they are for your boa
they would possibly be to small, from what I remember rat pup weights
start around 3 to 4gms up to 10 to 12 ish . Just don't Want you wasting your money.
boomslang Posted - 04/02/2012 : 16:22:55
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

What strange advice!

I know if I bred royals I'd start them straight on rat pups, and if I got another royal, no matter how small, I would offer rats rather than a mousey diet.

I know that there is the argument that an adult mouse is more nutritious than a weaner rat or rat pup, but it's funny how royals start to put on weight and grow once they switch to rats!

I'd offer the little guy a rat and see what he does with it.

Agree if its taking upto jumbo mice,it might be harder to switch over to rats.
JanieW Posted - 04/02/2012 : 15:41:46
Yeah Rob, I wasn't best pleased, not when he was in the feeding tub, and the mouse ready on a sheet of newspaper. I thought oh boy, here goes but he was as good as gold if you don't count that tail of his LOL

hehe and promtion..500 posts
Lotabob Posted - 04/02/2012 : 15:38:37
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

untangle his tail..he had twined the tip under the strap and coiled it.

Boa tails are naughty, they do seem to loop it round whatever they are gripping, they then loop the tip of the tail back around their tail to lock it in, clever but really annoying if your trying to get them off something.
JanieW Posted - 04/02/2012 : 15:27:28

Lotabob Posted - 04/02/2012 : 14:38:36
You are best switching as soon as possible if an adult snake has been fed mice its whole life suddenly gets a rat presented it may not recognise it as food then you are stuck having to feed 2 or 3 mice a week just to maintain weight and this will work out more expensive than just one appropriately sized rat. I've heard several food suppliers recommend this feeding plan, I wonder if they are aware of the chance they become mouse addicts.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2012 : 14:05:47
What strange advice!

I know if I bred royals I'd start them straight on rat pups, and if I got another royal, no matter how small, I would offer rats rather than a mousey diet.

I know that there is the argument that an adult mouse is more nutritious than a weaner rat or rat pup, but it's funny how royals start to put on weight and grow once they switch to rats!

I'd offer the little guy a rat and see what he does with it.
mark_92 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 13:49:22
hi mate i went threw all the most mice stages but i only offered one jumbo mouse and she took it, offered a week later and she refused and was in shed for about 2 weeks so i never bothered offering anything. Once she shed i offered a weaner rat and she took it for the first time :D
chrisc Posted - 04/02/2012 : 13:23:34
you can switch to rats any time or start them on rats from the first feed.
its best to get them on rats sooner or they could get hooked on mice an be a pain to switch over although some will switch no problem

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000