The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Sticks/Branches

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
austin_89 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 18:34:11
I've been looking at branches for Kane's viv but they can be really quite expensive and I've read on here that some people have gone out and found their own bits of wood and treated it.

How do i go about doing that??

Also what do you think is best, quite an empty viv or one with a lot of ornaments/plants?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
austin_89 Posted - 05/02/2012 : 12:55:58
I don't have any christmas looking trees near me so i should be ok thanks
chrisc Posted - 05/02/2012 : 12:24:40
i get all my branches from the woods and get fallen wood thats not near any coniferous, xmas tree looking trees.
then de bark, soak and dry never had a problem
im not great with different types of tree myself
acd1984 Posted - 05/02/2012 : 11:27:02
I saw in the per room that they had like a wooden crush handle for some sort of snake to climb on. The only problem is that it's not very authentic looking. They had it secured with something like what you you would see a shower curtain bar secured with. If that makes any sense I'm using my phone to reply and it's a pain in the tail lol
austin_89 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 20:29:40
i love useless info, im full of it! Lol

I should probably avoid getting my own then, knowing my luck ill get one that will harm him or not clean it properly! I cant tell one tree from another to be honest, i do know what a pine tree is though! Lol
n/a Posted - 04/02/2012 : 19:21:08
Yes - pine or anything coniferous is toxic to snakes. A lot of people recommend apple or anything that bears edible fruit ...I confess I've picked up branches in the local park before I knew about cleaning them - my first corn snake book said that the writers (the Bartletts, breeders in the States) picked up a lot of their branches in the countryside. Fortunately the stuff I picked up wasn't pine - I think it will be beech or oak, deciduous stuff anyway, and I just baked it next to a radiator over winter, but I ought to have cleaned it more thoroughly.

(Always made me wonder why, if pine's bad, why is there a pine snake? Then found out 'pituophis' literally means 'pine snake' but pits are called this because their scales are keeled like the scales of pine cones. Bit of useless info for the day lol!)
austin_89 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 18:56:27
Forgot to ask, is there any wood i cant use?

Yeah its cool dunno where it came from but i don't really see stuff like that in the pet shops round here i like stuff like that... Yeah we've always got kitchen roll tubes handy lol
n/a Posted - 04/02/2012 : 18:50:16
I remember the palm tree - it's cool - yes, always a good thing, a few more plants and stuff like that, they do like it cluttered.

Ha, Shahi used to stuff his fat backside into his kitchen roll inner ...so if I had to get him out, I took it out, Shahi and all, and misted it so that it unravelled ...don't think he was best pleased but always had a replacement handy.
austin_89 Posted - 04/02/2012 : 18:44:31
Thanks I just wanna give him an option to climb or do more than just lay on the bottom! Lol I've got like a palm tree thing in there which he occasionally climbs up and he's been around the light guard a few times...

At the minute he's got a hide, a log, a couple of little plants, a rock, the aforementioned palm tree and a kitchen roll tube that he is always in! Its a pain getting him out! I want a few plants that go from the top of his viv to the bottom so he's more covered.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2012 : 18:37:38
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=713

Here you go.

Lots of cover, definitely - but arranged so that the royal has 'walkways' underneath it, from hide to hide.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000