The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Rat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ajokocha Posted - 10/02/2012 : 12:58:18
Hey people. I have been feeding Floyd small mice since i got him over 2 months ago. He weighs 120 grammes and the small mice only weighed 11 grammes. Which is roughly 10% of his body weight. Which isn't enough. I was told on here to up him to rat fluffs now but the shop I went in didn't have any. So I've bought some small weaner rats. And I have to say they look really big in comparison to his old food. But they 20 grammes. Which is about right? I just want some advise as to whether he'd be ok with the rat? Sorry to go on, thank you :)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chrisc Posted - 10/02/2012 : 23:39:51
thats the advantage of coloubrids(think thats spelt right) and pits, my little royal frank is fasting so what he leaves goes to the rat snake of the bulls
ajokocha Posted - 10/02/2012 : 23:22:05
Well keely fed yesterday so I'll just have to try and fit it in with Floyd so she would be able to have it if he refuses again. Ok chris thanks mate, and yea she's more than big enough, 4.5 feet of chunkyness lol
n/a Posted - 10/02/2012 : 22:47:07
Lol
chrisc Posted - 10/02/2012 : 22:45:30
beat me to it bats
chrisc Posted - 10/02/2012 : 22:44:36
i would wait a week then try again with a rat, if he does not take it is your corn big enough to eat the same size rat?
n/a Posted - 10/02/2012 : 22:43:06
No - I wouldn't refreeze. If your corn's big enough to take that rat and it's at least 5 days after its feed, then you could offer the rat to the corn and adjust its next feeding day.

As for re-offering - I'd offer on the next feeding day, say that's in 5 or 7 days - snakes don't starve if they miss a meal, unlike mammals.

It isn't a case of being 'tight' - just practical. I'd do the same.

The little guy will be fine to wait until the next feeding day - or just work him in with the corn, so that it can recycle anything refused - again that's what I'd do.
ajokocha Posted - 10/02/2012 : 22:32:35
Well I've got home from work and the rat hasn't been touched. I have a few small mice left, shall I see if I can tempt him with one? How often should I keep trying though, the rats are 60p each and I don't want to sound tight but I don't just wanna keep throwing them every few days. And you shouldn't refreeze should you?
n/a Posted - 10/02/2012 : 16:47:35
Ah, it's the time of year, but hope he takes.

My Shiva's been eating like a wolf, but his last rat, he constricted and burst and recoiled from, so I gave that to gannet Ziska, and, having another rat ready, offered him that. Now he's a rampant strike feeder - but would he take it? No. So I left it in with him and after a while he took it by himself - but I wonder if this different feeding is a sign he'll be fasting soon. Which is normal. So it might be the same case with your lad.
ajokocha Posted - 10/02/2012 : 13:59:13
Well once again he's refused. So im going to leave it in for the rest of the day while I'm at work. Will be a 3 week fast if he don't eat today. Little bleeder lol
n/a Posted - 10/02/2012 : 13:48:23
Thanks - good luck with his first ratty meal!
ajokocha Posted - 10/02/2012 : 13:46:28
Thanks bats. Its amazing how much their necks can stretch. Dazzles me! Cool pick as well by the way :)
n/a Posted - 10/02/2012 : 13:23:11
Sounds like he'll be fine - believe it or not, that tiny neck can stretch to the thickness of the royal's girth.

Here is a pic to prove it -

Your lad will manage that weaner.
ajokocha Posted - 10/02/2012 : 13:06:26
Oh and also the rat is just about the same girth as floyds thickest part

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000