The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Damp Hide ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paulie78 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 14:46:49
Hi guys

Shadows just started going dull for the first time ive kinda completely skinted myself out recently with all the snakes stuff ive been buying (4 new vivs heat mats a new spare stat etc etc ugh it all adds up lol) normally i bulk buy pre empting my pets needs but i totally forgot to get any moss to make him a damp hide with ugh
so im hoping i might be able to get some moss in town tomorrow as its hard for me to get to any of the places locally that sell it im going to buy some online later in the week when i have some more money but obviously i need some for now are their any alternatives to moss if i cant find any ?

Thanks in advance

Paul
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acd1984 Posted - 13/02/2012 : 12:11:45
I use a old but clean sock in the warm hide and it works a treat, I use moss for my gecko but find it a pain to work with personally
paulie78 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 22:32:45
Thanks for the input guys lol Bats its a brilliant deterrent now if i could just find a way to stop them thieving my munchies as well hmmm maybe i should tell them ive gotten over my fear of spiders and am keeping tarantulas in the kitchen lol

I just checked on shadow his eyes were really milky and hes all dull (and a bit jumpy! made me lay a lil brown egg again!) so i ran a flannel under the tap and gave it a right good ringing out and ive placed it on the top of his hide
Lorraine Posted - 12/02/2012 : 21:46:37
I use a cool hide for Oscar (a small tupperware container with a hole in the side) and when he's due to shed, I put damp kitchen towel on the bottom and a damp flannel over his log in his warm end. He sheds fine and he also likes his cool hide..spends as much time in there as he does his warm hide.
n/a Posted - 12/02/2012 : 20:21:30
Ah, you know I've found this - when they're small they often have bad sheds no matter what you do. And they grow out of it.

LOL - yes, good deterrent, the frozen rodent - RATatouille, WEANER schnitzel, vole au vent, strawberry mouse, mice lollies ...
paulie78 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 20:01:29
Thanks i really appreciate your taking the time to reply well i was toying with the idea of putting the water in the warm end however thats a bit difficult because he has a makeshift hide atm that takes up half the the rub hes in and the water bowl is quite big as i was told to make sure he had a bowl big enough to be able to fit in if he wanted too so i could downsize the hide i guess.
Id really like to get a nice complete shed that would be awesome though i suspect the first one wont be i dont know its its just me but the first shed of every one of my snakes so far has never been intact but from the second one onwards theyve all been perfect v odd lol.

I Can totally relate to the rodents in the freezer thing though i have to say since i have told people i now have rats in the freezer they are a lot less reluctant to steal my white choccy magnums and mint feasts!! they werent too bothered about the mice but the mere mention of rats keeps em out strange that!

Thanks again
n/a Posted - 12/02/2012 : 16:02:43
Lol - no question is stupid - I don't usually do damp hides; I put the water bowl in the hot end or put a damp flannel on a small upturned rub lid in the viv, but when I do, I use small lidded rubs with holes cut in the sides - an old ice cream carton is a good alternative, but I have too many rodents in my freezers and no room for ice cream.

Some people just utilise the existing hides though, or put the damp flannel on top of a hide in the warm end - have to keep damping it though.

Apparently a good time to up the humidity is after the snake's eyes clear from blue and its skin becomes shiny again, which means it will shed in the next couple of days. Being a lazy git, I just up the humidity as soon as I notice the snake's in blue, which saves me disturbing it and checking it for clearing. In fact with all my pythons I now keep the water bowl in the warm end permanently, which seems to work well in this house, but all houses and their humidity are different, you will discover what is right for you.
paulie78 Posted - 12/02/2012 : 15:49:29
Ahh thats ace thanks when should i add it and where should i put it nside his normal hide or a seperate place sorry for all the stupid questions lol just wanna get it right thanks again
n/a Posted - 12/02/2012 : 15:14:32
Yes - damp kitchen paper or a damp face flannel or even a bit of old towelling or cotton, say from an old T shirt - and these are washable, unlike the moss.

Good luck with the shed.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000