The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding for the first time

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dalesanders28 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 18:40:17
Hi All
i got my royal python on sunday.
im still trying to get his viv set up properly with temp and humidity but got people helping me on here with that.
i have not held him untill today to allow him to get used to his new surroundings. he seem happy as when i first got him he was active but now he is rolled up in ball so he must be quite comtable to relax.
my main question is when shall i feed him as the pet shop said he was due a feed yesterday?
look forward to your response.
many thanks
Dale
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:36:24
Yep the gun thermometers are good
dalesanders28 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:20:53
great thankyou for your help.
i have one of those infa-red thermeter guns, if i point at the heat mat will this give me an accurate reading?
cheers
Lotabob Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:15:24
Yeah if you are able to get the hot end temps to a nice 32-33oC then there shouldn't be any issues with feeding.
dalesanders28 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:12:59
yes sorry. i will have my thermostat tomorrow morning which will allow me to set this up.
in that case will i be able to do as said above?
thanks again.
Lotabob Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:09:15
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

You cant feed him at all at the moment though, your temperatures arent right and its unsafe to feed them anything while they are cold. Once you get your temperatures right you can then attempt a feeding

quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

wait until temps are correct before feeding

Unfortunately its not at all until the heat mat is in the right position, you have it running on a thermostat (until its statted you cant even run it at all inside the viv) and you have a way of setting the temperature with a digital thermometer as thermostat markings are not reliable.
dalesanders28 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 19:02:03
ok. so shall i wait untill sunday for his feed?
i will follow your methods by putting some paper towl in the viv and placing the mice hopper on that and leaving him to eat in peace, correct?
thankyou for your reply.
cheers
blackskull Posted - 15/02/2012 : 18:53:04
my apologise i didn't realise the temps were not correct, not read other posts yet. as lotabob says wait until temps are correct before feeding
Lotabob Posted - 15/02/2012 : 18:49:36
Leave it at least a week without any handling before attempting a feed. You really should allow 3 feeds before handling them to ensure they are settled in and you can rule out handling as a factor in any stress. Balling up is not stress its fear, he's scared. He's got a lot to deal with moving house, let him deal with getting comfortable in his surroundings before the giant bald monkey picks him up an man handles him, will take a while for him to learn you wont hurt or eat him.

You cant feed him at all at the moment though, your temperatures arent right and its unsafe to feed them anything while they are cold. Once you get your temperatures right you can then attempt a feeding but make it a low key event though, put some paper towel down in his enclosure and sneak the rat in, you can try feeding out of the tub down the line but for now I'd just keep it simple and quiet for him.

Good luck
blackskull Posted - 15/02/2012 : 18:42:33
wouldn't hurt to try a fed, if he doesn't eat its nothing to worry about, if he eats great

i always offer a new snake a feed when they are next due regardless of how long i have had it

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000