The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Heat Mat positioning

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dalesanders28 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:04:08
Hi all.
i am being told lots of different methods which i appreciate very much, however i am left some bit confused.
i understand that royals are abit funny when it comes to heat mats. however i have been advised that up untill adult they are ok on heat mats.
basically where should i put the heat mat inside the viv too avoid harm to my royal.
many thanks
Dale
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dalesanders28 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 20:34:52
thankyou for your advise.
i shall drill a series of holes at the bottom and see how i get on.
cheers
reptilemadd Posted - 16/02/2012 : 20:10:54
You could drill a series of holes and then cover them with a flat vent they are only a couple of quid from B&Q but without trying to sound like a school teacher you do need to get the air circulating properly which will help with the humidity, otherwise you run the risk of mould and an RI which will end up costing a lot more and be far harder to deal with than putting a vent or two in the bottom of the viv, but as always it's up to the individual to decide what they are prepared to do in order to make sure their pets have the right enviroment...

Sorry BATS we crossed lol
n/a Posted - 16/02/2012 : 20:06:11
If you have an electric drill, then remove the reptiles to a safe distance, and just drill a square of 4 holes by 4 holes with a medium bit in the lower middle of the back wall. Saves having to cut a circle out for a plastic vent. I did this with a secondhand viv, and it works fine.
dalesanders28 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 20:00:25
i have a wooden viv so bit hard to make vents.

cheers
reptilemadd Posted - 16/02/2012 : 19:56:29
If you've only got vents at the top the air won't circulate properly which won't help with the humidity problem so I would start by putting one in the bottom to begin with and see how it goes, but you do need to bring the humidity down by about 25% or so..
jbarlow91 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 19:45:09
Only thing I can think of is to put bit less water in water bowl so there is less water to evaporate
dalesanders28 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 17:45:45
the water bowl is in the cool end.
i have digital infa red gun to measure temp but only a dial in the middle of the viv the measure humidity.
i have vents at the top and thats it.
thanks for all your help
Dale
richard v Posted - 16/02/2012 : 15:21:42
quote:
Originally posted by dalesanders28

i have put the heat mat in with thermostat connected but the himidity levels are sky high (85-90%)

Hello
Are you still using using the dial to measure the humidity
If so change it for a digital reader. Also do you have any vents,or any
way for air to be circulated around the viv.
jbarlow91 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 12:42:44
Is the water bowl in the cool end cause if it is over the mat it will raise the humidity
dalesanders28 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 11:26:16
i have put the heat mat in with thermostat connected but the himidity levels are sky high (85-90%)
jbarlow91 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 10:44:40
I think between 30 and 33 is normally good for a royal
dalesanders28 Posted - 16/02/2012 : 09:09:08
cheers
what temp shall i set the stat at?
cheers
jbarlow91 Posted - 15/02/2012 : 22:28:03
Should be on the floor inside the viv. Its important that it is statted tho to avoid burning the snake

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000