The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 70 sleeps later!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ajacklin Posted - 03/03/2012 : 08:37:34
Really pleased, got Syd 70 days ago & he's now eaten! I know they can go months but it's still a worry! I left it outside his cool hide & half hour later it had gone, I want to go back to feeding in a separate tub if possible but for now I'm just pleased he's had something!
Just wondered though, are they like corns with regard to no handling for 48 hours or do they take longer? He's about 1600g and it was a small rat.
Thanks
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/03/2012 : 12:18:55
Congrats on the feed - yes, as others have said, 2 or even 3 days before handling is a good guide.

A rat 10/15% of the royal's bodyweight (fed every fortnight for a snake over 1200g) is the guide I go by, but I find offering a smaller size prey to a snake fasting or coming out of fast seems to encourage them so I reckon that small rat was spot on. Well done Syd!
Lorraine Posted - 03/03/2012 : 12:14:29
Really glad for you. Yay!
ajacklin Posted - 03/03/2012 : 10:14:57
Thanks guys, I think he should be on bigger rats really but as the previous owner said he was on weaners I didn't want to jump up too big until he'd started eating again!
chrisc Posted - 03/03/2012 : 10:03:04
congrats on the feed. yes leave for 48 hours after a feed.
when my big lad derek whos 1500g ish has a big rat i tend to leave him for an extra day
Se7enS1ns Posted - 03/03/2012 : 09:47:30
Reading others' posts about feeding difficulties makes me realise how lucky I've been with Monty - she ate a small mouse (F/T) the same weekend I bought her, and eats every time I offer her one (7-10 days) - I leave her until the next day to handle her again. She's not exactly friendly at the best of times, but she's certainly not scared of me.

Congrats on the feed - I'd be having kittens if mine went one month, let alone 2!
austin_89 Posted - 03/03/2012 : 08:44:07
Congrats on him eating I've always stuck to the 48 hour rule but if your not happy after 48 hours wait another 12

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000