The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New keeper, help on feeding please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Loopelisa Posted - 07/03/2012 : 19:31:13
Hi folks
I have recently bought a beautiful royal python for our small school of just 7 teenage boys.

The shop I bought her from made an educated guess at her being female, but we are not absolutely sure.

So far things have been great, not quite sure how one would know if she wasn't happy, but she is tolerating frequent handling and seems happy to be taken out of her viv. She rarely balls up and seems fairly happy and relaxed sniffing with her tongue all the time, when she's out she is active and explores who ever is holding her.

She also fed two days after being in the new viv and has since had 3 more feeds, 2 in public with us watching as she took the feed from tongs.

If I remember correctly, I think i measured her at 48cm and weighed her at 140g. My concern after reading a few posts, is what size rodents I should be offering her. The pet shop told me she was on hoppers, which i purchased from them, but are these too small?

I was also worried about seeing no poop, but having read posts, I won't worry just yet

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Im totally besotted by her and her first feeding video went straight on facebook as i was so so proud of her.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lorraine Posted - 09/03/2012 : 11:53:10
I don't handle when blue either. They can get a bit grumpy so best left alone, lol.
n/a Posted - 08/03/2012 : 20:54:28
I don't handle when they're blue/about to shed. I put their water bowl in the warm end of their viv, if it's not there already (this ups humidity) and just leave them alone to do their own thing.

Hope she has a good shed.
Loopelisa Posted - 08/03/2012 : 20:19:29
thanks guys for your info, its been really useful.

When i got her out today noticed her eyes are looking very blue/cloudy so she's obviously gonna shed a skin soon, hopefully then I will get a poop pressie.

One question tho, is it best to leave them alone and not handle them while they are shedding?
brad37 Posted - 08/03/2012 : 00:47:46
thanks i will just give him more time and not rush him i know snakes can go for a bit with out food i just want to handle him witch i know i cant dow yet.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 07/03/2012 : 22:56:33
You could try the braining technique if you feel up to it - snakes are naturally attracted to the scent of brain matter apparently, so you can punch a hole through the mouses skull using a small screwdriver or a skewer or similar, and wipe off the residue on the mouses fur - gruesome, but yields results!
n/a Posted - 07/03/2012 : 22:08:54
Hi Brad - one of this forum's mottos is -they're all different - ie some royals will feed soon after arriving in their new home; others may take a few weeks to settle and feed.

Don't think you need to worry - but know how you feel - it's always good to get the first feed over with a new snake.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, giving him some space and not handling just yet. Two and a half weeks isn't much for a new royal to delay feeding and it's a good sign that he's interested.

One tip that I find does work is to heat the rodent's nose up with a hairdryer, for 30 secs, just outside the snake's enclosure. The smell blows in and can rouse the snake's appetite. If no hairdryer, try dipping the rodent's nose into hot water. Offer on tongs - kitchen tongs are fine - and wiggle the rodent about. Hopefully he should strike; if not, just leave at the mouth of his hide and he may well take.

Good luck and hope he starts feeding soon!
richard v Posted - 07/03/2012 : 22:02:21
Hi Lisa, sounds like your little snake is doing well, I would not worry about the lack of toilet mine
Just went today for the first time in 9 weeks.
As far as food goes I would offer large rat pups
They weigh up to 14-15 gms but obviouslythats my own opinion
But if it's eating what's Being offered you maybe better using up what you
have before changing, if that's what you decide is best for you.
brad37 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 21:35:56
sorry about missing some words
brad37 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 21:32:42
hi i have had my royal for 2half weeks still not taken a feed.he keeps sniffing it but i end up putting in bin after 24 hours any tips its on small mice i been thinking of geting some rat to see if he will take them have i any thing to worry about he looks in good shape have not handle to much yet becouse he has not been feeding? thanks
Se7enS1ns Posted - 07/03/2012 : 21:00:36
Sounds like she's getting on just fine - the frequent feeding is always a really positive sign - agree with the lack of pics, 48cm is tiny
anatess Posted - 07/03/2012 : 20:06:54

Sexing royals is tricky business. It's better to take her to the vet to get sexed.
n/a Posted - 07/03/2012 : 19:49:14
Hi, I use a feeding guide first posted on here by Blackecho -

feed 10/15% of the royal's weight or a rodent whose girth is no larger than the royal's girth.

for a royal 0-400g, feed every 5 days.

And I like to feed rats, as when your girl becomes huge, one rat is easier to feed than several mice.

Royals don't make a mess very often - usually it's around shedding time, although they can surprise you. But it's rare that they go every week.

Sounds like she's doing well, congrats!
JanieW Posted - 07/03/2012 : 19:41:37
hi Lisa, welcome and it sounds like your girl settled in fine ;)
can't type well as i have a boa round my hand lol

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000