The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 different kind of viv and heat mat with stat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arky Posted - 14/03/2012 : 15:38:17
Hi all

I have a 11 month old Royal Python "Frankie" she's a girl weight 1200g size 40"

i have a new style viv that's wood with a glass front and glass panel in the roof the roof is hinged for easy access and cleaning love it, my question is, i read alot about heat mats being bad for Royals because of thermo blocking, but this viv has a twin layer of glass in the floor that the heat mat slots in between and so there is no contact with the snake or the top layer of glass that the snake would sit on, i also have it running though a mat stat regulated at around 30, what's the pros think of this set-up ? i don't want to hurt her but i would rather stay away from lights and ceramic heaters etc if at all poss, this set-up has been working very well and i seem to have a very happy healthy snake.

thxs jason
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JamesA Posted - 26/04/2012 : 22:54:10
Thanks for the link Arky, i've been looking at getting the 30" one of those for my wife's corn and you just saved me a tenner :)
tbeech20 Posted - 24/04/2012 : 20:40:08
im so glad you asked this question as i just got my first ball python and she is my second snake but i haven't had one for about 7 years. i had exactly the same viv which local reptile shop recomended, but after reading lots of different views i started to become sceptical even tho everyone raves about the shop
Arky Posted - 14/03/2012 : 19:58:06
hello m8 how do i upload pics on here ?

heres a link but they don't really show you alot >

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/housing/vivariums/9632100002229?menu_page=housing&menu_page_sub=vivariums&productpage=9632100002224
anatess Posted - 14/03/2012 : 19:48:22

LOL.

Regarding heat mats... Risk for burns in heat mats is just as much as heat lamps.

But... you have to know how to use a heat mat properly. Heat mats, just like heat lamps, need air flow.

The reason heat mats get a bad rap because people would put a heat mat under a plastic tub and as royals are heavy bodied, the plastic bends when a royal sits on it and traps the heat mat underneath.

Of course you don't have this problem with a glass viv or a sturdy wooden viv because glass doesn't bend like plastic does.

I use heat mats. I don't use heat lamps because, in my opinion, under-belly heat is more beneficial to royals than overhead heat to aid in digestion.

I have some of my royals in RUBs - plastic that will bend when a 2kg royal sits on it. I put the RUB on top of a heat mat controlled by a pulse stat with the stat probe stuck to the mat. To avoid blocking the airflow around the heat mat, I put a CD cases on each side of the heat mat then put the RUB on top of that.

Hope this makes sense.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 14/03/2012 : 16:39:51
Then I reckon you're golden! An extra thermometer stuck to the wall of the hot end wouldnt go a-miss though just to test ambient temp. Mats are perfectly ample for heating up a viv (hence there usage in rack systems), only reason they are not recommended is due to potential burns - but I cant see that being a problem with the glass bottom of the viv, plus the stat.

Sounds like the cold end is a little low on temp, I have the same problem (low 20's) but I figure if she's too cold she can go closer to the hot end - fortunately I have a very confident little snake who is quite happy to sit outside her hides, but make sure you have somewhere you're can hide inbetween the hot and cold ends. A log hide works well as there are open at either end and act as a tunnel. The best advise I can give is to let your snake do the talking - if she is constantly in the hot end try upping the temp a degree / if she's constantly at the cold end, try dropping it a degree. Hope this helps!

Wouldnt mind a pic of this glass bottomed viv of yours!
Arky Posted - 14/03/2012 : 16:07:19
hello m8
i have three temp sensors, one in the hot house reading 29/33 it varies a bit when the mat is switched on and off a few degrees its near the mat stat sensor, one mechanical cheap gauge type stuck middle top of viv, reading 20 and the other digital one is at the other end of the viv cold house is also at 20
Se7enS1ns Posted - 14/03/2012 : 15:48:43
What are your temps like at the hot end and cold end? I dont see a problem with your setup getting too hot, as there is a layer of air between the mat and the top sheet of glass - so no burns, but I'm concerned that you'll struggle to get the temp hot enough.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000