The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 whistling snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 20/03/2012 : 18:41:47
i have noticed loki kind of whisles sometimes. it is not a hiss definitely a whistle through his nose. is this normal or could he have a respiritory infection?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:36:56
I've noticed that the size of the windpipe/glottis compared to the tiny tiny nostrils that there is likely to be an element of pressure built up at that point and that in itself in theory can lead to noise and this is audible in larger snakes. I know that during normal respiration the glottis is plugged into the roof of the mouth and then the nostrils come into play, they dont have an independent way of breathing through the nostrils as we do. All very technical for something as simple as breathing.

Snake anatomy fascinates me.
n/a Posted - 20/03/2012 : 23:53:50
I'd add - until I saw the inside of a snake's mouth, I didn't realise that a snake's windpipe is in the place we'd call the 'root of the tongue' ie towards the front of the lower jaw, and not, as in a human, at the back of the mouth together with the oesophagus.

Very informative vid though Bob.

All the best, Curiously - hope he goes on ok. A couple of times noticed a royal 'whiffling' and put it down to stuck shed in the nasal passages - once had to help to pull some out - huge plugs of skin! (They have been fine.)

But yes, if in doubt, vet is best and hope everything's fine!
Lotabob Posted - 20/03/2012 : 23:36:13
Its hard to describe the technique in words, I was shown the technique but this video is pretty much exactly what to do just dont expect the snake body to comply as much as it did in this video, the music is bloody annoying but the technique is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ1C-TKIfvc
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:44:22
ok thanks for that lol
think i am going to call the vet tomorrow and see what he says. i would rather take a trip to the vets and be told nothing's wrong than leave it and it gets worse.
Kelfezond Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:37:37
Easy enough to open I generally use a ccotten wool thing (the plastic with the budded ends cut off) and hold his jaw with my index finger and thumb then let him bite the plastic, opens wide and funnily enough they don't seem bitey when you take the plastic out lol.
as for what you're looking for I have no idea i've only done it to give medicine.
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:32:04
how do i look in his mouth???
and what am i looking for once i get it open???
Lotabob Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:29:34
If I were you I'd be extra vigilant with the whistling and not eating. it might be worth having a quick look inside the mouth. Good look getting it open lol.
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:27:25
no not shed recently. last shed was end of january
curiouslyfacinated Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:25:17
thanks
he doesnt do it all the time only a couple of times in the 20 minutes i was holding him tonight really and that is sort of normal for most trips out for handling. he seems fine in himself even though he has stopped eating refusing the last 2 feeds. i put that down to time of the year though and not worried about it too much.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:22:22
Did he shed recently ?
May just been some shed around his nose
Kelfezond Posted - 20/03/2012 : 19:14:01
Could be a sign of respiratory infection but if he's showing no other signs I wouldn't worry too much some of mine have done it from time to time and it seems to come and go

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000