The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 2.5 - 3 yr old not feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Monty75 Posted - 23/03/2012 : 21:57:13
My snake got a new vivarium at Xmas and she hasn't eaten since. She's quite big and she's in a 900x400 viv and we've struggled a bit with the temperature but we think we've got that right now. Can anyone shed some light on why she's not feeding please. Also, she's been generally far less active, even at night.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/03/2012 : 12:16:10
Moving can knock their appetite off, definitely, but it IS the time of the year when they fast. My lad who's the same age as your girl hasn't eaten since Halloween; I have a girl a year older who's still fasting too. I expect them to start eating again soon.

If she needs more cover in her viv, that's a good idea, but he certainly won't starve just yet; it's what royals do.

All the best with her.
Lotabob Posted - 24/03/2012 : 12:08:01
Royals do better in smaller spaces. The 900X400 is around the size I would use for adult Royals BUT and as you can see its a big but, it needs to be well packed out with places to hide and foliage, not be too light as nocturnal animals dislike light and at the right temperature.

I will use my example of a similar sized vivarium my shy Royal is in.

Also I use ceramic heating as it emits no light and there are no viewing lights in the viv either keeping it nice and dark (the room is light in the day and darker at night that's all the light stimulus Royal's need), all hides are faced with the doors away from the front and have foliage immediately in front to help the snake feel secure.

Its not unusual for a Royal to get a bit stressed out when first moved into a new vivarium, and its also not of major concern that they aren't eating under normal circumstances, specially at the time of year yours stopped eating (mating season fasting) but I would say that the move has been the cause. Have a look at the new vivarium from the snakes point of view, is it too bright or open spaced.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000