The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 little concerned (re- fasting)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 08/04/2012 : 21:45:51
hi guys george hasnt eaten in about 7 weeks, and although im not too worried, upon checking his weight it would appear he has lost more than i would have expected, his last feed was before he shed so i got an empty weight and he has lost about 8/9% since. he seams well in every other respect, but i am getting a little concerned now.

any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/04/2012 : 11:39:08
Hi, that's good to hear and as for weight - just looked up Shahi's record for the same age as George. Shahi's always been reckoned to be a whopper - but George, for his age, is a good 200g ahead of him!

Sounds like you're doing great with him, hope all continues well.
acd1984 Posted - 15/04/2012 : 04:40:19
after checking his weights and recalculating the percentage lost it would seem i have been worrying over nothing/very little

he has lost 5.6% but its nothing compared to what i thought, and he would look skinny to me because he has really gained some length

heres his latest records
06/03/12 - Shed - Empty Weight - 763g
26/03/12 - Weight 740g
15/04/12 - Weight 720g
15/04/12 - Length - 3ft4"

he is only a year old and a massive 3ft4" im hoping that he doesnt stop growing just yet :D

i will still keep checking and keep you posted and thanks for your advice guys :)
acd1984 Posted - 14/04/2012 : 21:59:49
If his weight is low what would you guys think of feeding him mice or chicks? He seems healthy in every other aspect so as a last ditch attempt before the vet I want to have covered all bases, good idea? Or may it create more problems?
acd1984 Posted - 12/04/2012 : 22:31:45
Thanks bats you may have a point, il have to double and triple check his weight
n/a Posted - 11/04/2012 : 23:55:58
Oh no ....sorry Don! Don't know why I mixed you and George up with Austin and Kane.

Just not with it tonight lol. Thanks,Hayden - I'll amend it.
HaydenK Posted - 11/04/2012 : 23:34:27
Burned, Don's snake is called George ;)
n/a Posted - 11/04/2012 : 19:38:09
As long as you're quarantining properly, I think it would be highly unlikely, and I don't think the presence of another snake elsewhere in the house would stress George out.

Another possibility could be your scales. You wouldn't be the only one to have had 'adventures' with digital scales that for some reason can add or subtract a good few grammes. They seem notorious for that. Could be you've had an inaccurate reading at some point and he hasn't actually lost that amount of weight? It's a thought eh?

All the best with him.
acd1984 Posted - 11/04/2012 : 18:42:01
It will be a while before he has a poo as he stopped eating around the time of his last shed, but his last poo was completely normal.

Im just wondering though, is it possible that my new addition may have something to Do with it? They are not in line of sight but still
n/a Posted - 10/04/2012 : 23:56:19
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

Again another miss today, im gonna try a smaller prey item next time see what happens then if nothing il try a mouse instead,

i have brained the rat and taken him for a drive but nothing is working, i was reading the feeding guide and the only 2 possibilities are breeding season (but that wouldnt explain his weight loss) and internal parasites

does anyone know how a snake with internal parasites may look/act, i mean is there a tell for internal parasites?

From what I've read, if a snake is regularly passing loose and unusually smelly motions (like really stinky, not just the usual snake wee/log pong) it's a good idea to get the faeces checked.

Sorry, amendment - as I understand it, this is in the case of a royal - corns, for instance, are always loose and smelly but in their case it's normal lol.
Lotabob Posted - 10/04/2012 : 23:50:42
You could get a sample tested next time he poops.
acd1984 Posted - 10/04/2012 : 23:24:44
Again another miss today, im gonna try a smaller prey item next time see what happens then if nothing il try a mouse instead,

i have brained the rat and taken him for a drive but nothing is working, i was reading the feeding guide and the only 2 possibilities are breeding season (but that wouldnt explain his weight loss) and internal parasites

does anyone know how a snake with internal parasites may look/act, i mean is there a tell for internal parasites?
Lotabob Posted - 09/04/2012 : 12:17:28
Yeah the good thing is you are monitoring it, fingers crossed it wont come to a visit to the vets.
acd1984 Posted - 09/04/2012 : 01:34:45
No poos or anything since but im thinking it may level out after the drop, if not, when it gets to 15% il be taking him to the vet
Lotabob Posted - 08/04/2012 : 23:55:52
Losing nearly 10% of body weight in 7 weeks is a bit excessive. Since the last weigh in have you had any poops at all?
n/a Posted - 08/04/2012 : 21:50:45
Sounds pretty normal to me - I have one who's heading for a 6 month fast and has lost 5% of his bodyweight - but no need to worry till he hits 10/15%.

It's what royals do - they'll all start eating soon.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000