The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 feeding question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mr_luke Posted - 25/04/2012 : 15:48:58
Had my royal for about a month now, had 3 successful feeds in a row the latest last night, instead of leaving it for him to find, i dangled it infront of him and got to see him strike and coil on it all very impressive!!
My question is, can doing this lead to him maybe mistaking my hand for food when i reach in to pick him up? Hes very chilled out, i handle him quite regularly and he has never shown me any signs of aggression and i really hope to keep him that way!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 19:55:04
Lol this is what happened the last time I picked up Shahi on his feeding day ...the caption kind of says it all -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6551&SearchTerms=gore+galore

But HE thought he was being a good lad, feeding on cue ...or my fingers ...
Waley333 Posted - 25/04/2012 : 18:51:01
My snake always strike feeds. He won't bother if thee rat is just lying in his Faun. It's as if he wants to earn his food by striking. LOL. And I only strike fed Osiris myself for thee first time last night. My other half, Ajokocha, normally does it for me. Hence why thee tongs are always round mine. LOL. But it didn't half make me jump. I'll be putting a link to see thee video in a couple of minutes.

I never worry though that Osiris will mistake my hand for a rat when I pick him up as obviously my hand won't smell of rat, and of course he'll have just been fed. Of course though, when he has been fed, I won't pick him up within forty-eight hours anyway... (:

Saying that though, like BATS, when Osiris gets older I might not be able to get away with picking him up on his feeding day. LOL.
mr_luke Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:56:32
haha no worries, the more advice the better! Thats why I joined after all!
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:45:16
Ah sorry, I sort of got the wrong end of the stick ...or tongs.
mr_luke Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:35:31
yeah I used tongs, and i definately wouldnt fancy taking a bite from an adult! and that video looked painful lol thanks again for the replies!
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:29:36
On the other hand this carpet is sooo laid back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn7_g5nsi0I

Mind you, I wouldn't do this personally! And especially not with my carpet who's an eating machine.

Must just add - the snake assumes that the warm thing it sinks its teeth into is food - no aggression is involved, just hunger lol.
ajokocha Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:23:11
No worries. It sure is mate! Mine still make me jump from time to time lol. Also what I do, if I have the tongues with me, after they strike I'll tug the mouses tail a little to simulate it struggling, and they constrict even more.
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:19:09
Congrats on the feed - I feed most of my lot in-viv and never experience any bother on non-feeding days - but I don't put my hand in there on feeding day any more lol!

He'll be probably be okay while he's a baby and I know loads of people do feed by hand with no mishap; their snakes are better behaved than my lot lol - but I really would recommend using tongs. Kitchen/barbecue tongs are a couple of quid from Wilkinson. Especially with pythons - the heat pits on their face sense the warmth of your hand, and if your hand is warmer than the mouse ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjZ69by5i2I&feature=related

It hurtss!!!

mr_luke Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:07:22
nice one, thanks! it is very impressive, i cant believe how well he took it! iv never seen him move so fast!
ajokocha Posted - 25/04/2012 : 15:57:31
Hi. I have strike fed using just my hand a couple of times ( when my feeding tongues are round my girlfriends). And I have had no aggression, it should be ok when you're going to pick him up as your hand won't smell of mouse. to be honest I think most people strike feed. Plus it's awesome to see the strikes :).

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000