The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Safest way to sex snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 28/04/2012 : 00:37:17
Weve had the rat v mice debate now probing v popping
Just wondering what everyone thoughts and opinions are.
I'm dead against popping just feel the methods used may cause problems later on when you pop the snake your causing it to prolapse.
Well that's my thoughts on the matter.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 28/04/2012 : 21:55:04
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by toggsy

your causing it to prolapse.

No you are not!!!

You are inverting their hermepenes in a male or proving there are no hermepenes present in females, they are 'stored' in the area below the vent in the tail. If you pop them and they prolapse you are applying far too much pressure and in completely the wrong place.

The reason you can pop a young snake rather than an older snake is not due to chances of injury etc its because they have greater muscle control down there and males can prevent their hermipenes being inverted giving a false female result.

Probing can also be flawed, if they clench then you can get a false female result, so really the result is only 100% accurate if you get a male result, if you get female its either a female or a male that clenched though if you have someone experienced they can feel the clench and try again.

Im only quoting by what I was told by a reptile trader who has over 20 years experience
I'm on the understanding that you have probe both sides.

I'm not a professional or nor do I pretend to be one that's why I take mine to someone with far more experience than me and someone who does it on a regular basis.
Probing is something that I would to learn and shown how to do properly and not off of you tube and I will not attempt it until otherwise.
Lotabob Posted - 28/04/2012 : 20:31:31
quote:
Originally posted by toggsy

your causing it to prolapse.

No you are not!!!

You are inverting their hermepenes in a male or proving there are no hermepenes present in females, they are 'stored' in the area below the vent in the tail. If you pop them and they prolapse you are applying far too much pressure and in completely the wrong place.

The reason you can pop a young snake rather than an older snake is not due to chances of injury etc its because they have greater muscle control down there and males can prevent their hermipenes being inverted giving a false female result.

Probing can also be flawed, if they clench then you can get a false female result, so really the result is only 100% accurate if you get a male result, if you get female its either a female or a male that clenched though if you have someone experienced they can feel the clench and try again.
n/a Posted - 28/04/2012 : 14:15:50
Probing is something I would like to learn how do but I will get someone with experience to show me first.
At the moment I'm having to rely on shops to do the probing for me I was told not to use Vaseline as this doesn't break down like KY jelly and can block up inside in some cases to cause to snake to be sterilised.
austin_89 Posted - 28/04/2012 : 14:03:07
I've been told popping them is more dangerous when they're younger?
n/a Posted - 28/04/2012 : 12:30:47
I agree.
chrisc Posted - 28/04/2012 : 10:20:11
in my opinion popping should only be used for very young hatchlings, have seen videos of big american breeders popping adult royals which to me is dangerous an wrong due to the damage it could cause as an adults muscle's in that area are much stronger.
probing is safe if done right and fairly easy to learn.
i watched loads of videos an stuff about probing to work out the technique for doing it but would strongly advise getting somone to show you/watch them probe a snake.
i did probe the royals first but after watching a friend probe some corns it was much easier to see how to do it and im now confident on how to do it even with my smaller snakes.
the royals are fairly easy due to the larger cloaca compared to thinner bodied snakes

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000