The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Humidity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bluepoolshark Posted - 09/05/2012 : 09:07:18
Having recently moved my royal into his proper viv, I have got the temps lovely and stable, but the humidity levels are very low, as evidenced by the truly rubbish shed he has just had.

The heat is ceramic bulb, and I have moved the water bowl to nearer the heat source which doesn't seem to have changed the levels much. I have also just put a moss box in there for him.

Is there anything else I can do?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OddSocks Posted - 12/05/2012 : 15:45:14
I just spray mine every to every other day have had perfect sheds so far.
blackskull Posted - 11/05/2012 : 14:06:45
i must admit i never measure the humidity in my vivs,i tend to keep the water bowl in the middle of the vivs. i use the flannel trick under the heat bulb and always have perfect sheds
matthewsaint Posted - 11/05/2012 : 06:30:29
let us know how it goes, hope they have a good shed!
Danno91 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 21:41:13
im trying the flannel trick for the first time at the moment and the humidity has raised from just below 45% to nearer 75% now, we will see the out come very soon
matthewsaint Posted - 09/05/2012 : 20:32:22
i like the idea of the flannel i'm gonna use that next time mine comes into shed
chrisc Posted - 09/05/2012 : 20:19:18
i dont measure the humidity in my vivs, ive got a stick on one in my room for a rough idea as their not accurate an its usually 50-60% which is fine.
i move the water bowls into the hot end an spray the walls twice a day when shedding an thats it
jimmer7 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:55:27
hi my royal just shed fine humidity is 48% put moss box in plus damp flannel on top of his hot hide seemed to work.touch wood no bad sheds yet.
JamesA Posted - 09/05/2012 : 18:36:06
My understanding is that 15% humidity just isnt possible without equipment. In fact a quick google says that average humidity in the Sahara is about 25%! I had similar concerns when i moved charlie into his new viv and it turned out to be the rubbish thermometer/humidity meter I got of ebay.

Have a look at the comments in my thread here: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8104

I've now got a decent meter in there, at the opposite end to the ceramic. The water bowel is in the hot end and humidity is usually around 55%. When he goes into shed i spray twice a day and he shed fine.
hodgie Posted - 09/05/2012 : 15:31:49
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

I called 888 reptilesm was going to buy a fogger, but was told that Pythons and Boas do not need high humidity.

No they dont need high humidity but it doesn`t do them any harm. Crystal palace reptiles keep theirs around 90%. Your more likely to get an RI in Royals with low temps.
Heres todays weather forecast for Benin take a look at the humidity levels. click on one of the temp figures and look at the "Average Weather in Save for May" - 97% in the mornings
http://www.weatherforecastmap.com/benin/
Kelfezond Posted - 09/05/2012 : 15:28:01
When pandora got RI I was instructed to raise the humidity higher, threw me off a bit but worked a charm with the boa.
JanieW Posted - 09/05/2012 : 15:03:04
Yeah Sneck, I thought that too, the reason I called to buy a fogger, but was told that the highest cause of illness, RI is mainly caused by too high humidity. Then when I got the perfect sheds, I was delighted and relieved lol

I think i'll need a fogger for Ra tho, as they do need high humidity.

Of course its also possible that i'm not getting a true reading lol
Kelfezond Posted - 09/05/2012 : 14:54:03
Yeah my boa loves it humid, she's always in her water bowl anyway so humidity is kind of redundant but it naturally goes to about 60%+ just from the volume of water in her water "bowl"
Snecklifter Posted - 09/05/2012 : 14:39:46
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

I called 888 reptilesm was going to buy a fogger, but was told that Pythons and Boas do not need high humidity. Fea, my Boa is in a 55" viv with an AHS Heater..humidity 15% Similar % with my Pyton but both just had another perfect shed.

I wait until their eyes clear after the blue phase and place a moss box in with moss moistened with warm water.
Remove the old warm hide so they use the moss..it works :)
At this stage I miss the walls..twice a day.

15% humidity with a Boa? Are you sure thats right? I was under the impression that the natural habitat of Boas was tropical rainforest?

I guess i'm lucky, the humidity in our vivarium is 55% - 62% constantly, just have a water bowl and a small amount of damp moss in there all the time.
JanieW Posted - 09/05/2012 : 10:30:24
I called 888 reptilesm was going to buy a fogger, but was told that Pythons and Boas do not need high humidity. Fea, my Boa is in a 55" viv with an AHS Heater..humidity 15% Similar % with my Pyton but both just had another perfect shed.

I wait until their eyes clear after the blue phase and place a moss box in with moss moistened with warm water.
Remove the old warm hide so they use the moss..it works :)
At this stage I miss the walls..twice a day.
Se7enS1ns Posted - 09/05/2012 : 09:44:43
I've got the exact same problem - on a heatmat setup the humidity was a constant 50-55%. Since moving to a ceramic setup, this drops as low as 30% without intervention. I've had to leave a moss hide in there constantly now just to keep it up to around 45%. Even moving the water bowl right up to the hot end didn't achieve too much. Monty had a ridiculously bad shed last time round also, had it all stuck to her nose and everything, I had to help her out with it.

I've read that spraying the walls with a mister can help, but I think you have to do this a few times a day!!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000