The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 newbie help!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carlb1981 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 17:59:24
Hi i pick up my royal on friday so just getting all the final bits and pieces together so i can set up my viv tomorrow ready for him coming home, ive encountered a problem with purchasing a thermometer
i was wanting to buy a dual readout one which they have on there website but they cant get them in for another couple weeks so my solution was to buy a normal digi thermometer plus a combined digi humidity/thermometer so i didnt have three gauges set up my question is which end hot or cool should i place the probe for the combined gauge and should the probe still be on the floor of viv?
another couple things is it right the water bowl should be at far end of viv in cool end?
and which end should i place the moss ball and would this be in a hide?
thanks carl
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 16/05/2012 : 22:41:36
Yeah you'll soon get into the ways of the Royal, they are a good place to start (but I can assure you one turns to 2, then 3 and so on) and providing you are a laid back person and won't stress out too much when they go through the fasting period or skip the occasional meal then you'll be grand, you've put in the pre-snake work by the sounds of it.
carlb1981 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 21:07:09
Yes its my first snake I used to have lizards when I was younger as my mam wouldn't let me get a snake because she didn't like the idea of frozen mice in her freezer lol will post up pics of set up and hopefully a happy snake on Friday
Lotabob Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:52:38
No problems, I look forward to news of your new arrival and pictures of the setup etc. Is this your first snake?
carlb1981 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:50:21
Ok great and thanks for the help lotabob
Lotabob Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:41:16
yeah in the cool end but raised about an inch off the floor. I had my hygrometer probes like this and it seemed more accurate than anywhere else and I trialled a good few positions, you'll find though that you use its reading less and less as you get a feel for these things, for the most part house humidity is totally adequate for them so you dont have to faff with the humidity, then around the period that they shed their skin you raise humidity a smidge to help it come off cleany.
carlb1981 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 20:09:16
So it would be best putting the combined probe in cool end on floor?
Lotabob Posted - 16/05/2012 : 19:22:37
The probe that measures humidity needs to be away from the heat source not even in direct line of sight to the heat source about an inch from the ground. Too close to the heat and the air in the probe will be dried out giving a false reading.
carlb1981 Posted - 16/05/2012 : 18:12:43
Thanks Chris I'd guess it would be best in the hot end then!
chrisc Posted - 16/05/2012 : 18:06:45
not sure with the humidity probe as i dont use them.
i have my water bowls roughly in the middle.
you only need to add moss when they are shedding also when they go into shed move the water bowl into the hot end to help up the humidity a bit

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000