The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 new to royals

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lon3wolf Posted - 17/05/2012 : 10:59:09
Hi new to royals, purchased male 3 weeks ago, he is about 26 inches long and feeds, sheds, poos and handles really well. Have him in 2ft viv at moment and have a log hide, large water bowl, hand made climbing log and digi therm/hydro, heat mat under astro turf with thermostat and blue daylight bulb caged and on 12hr timer. Like i said he seems fine its just that his eyes seem a bit crinckly, well that the only way I can describe it. Humidity is around 34-40 in hot side and constant 60 on cool side, is this anything to worry about and does anyone have any ideas or help.

thanks

mark
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lon3wolf Posted - 17/05/2012 : 12:57:29
Thanks Lotabob, the person I got him off had said that he had had mites and been treated for them. I checked him when got him home, and everytime I get him out and no sign, will take a picture when he comes back out, only eat tuesday and hidden away since as always, he prob be out this eve.
lon3wolf Posted - 17/05/2012 : 12:55:37
Thanks JanieW, my temps are between 30-32 hot side and 26-28 cool side during day, and drop a cpl of degrees of evening.
Lotabob Posted - 17/05/2012 : 12:16:41
A picture would be the best bet for this query. It could be just eye cap damage, they can be clumsy and do this from time to time, or it could be dehydration, you can quickly check for this by pinching the skin it it stands up (tents) then its dehydrated, if it springs back then its not. Then there is the possibility of a retained eyecap, this is when they shed and the eye cap scale doesn't come off, its characterised by a crinkly eye and scruffy edge. The final one is eye cap damage from mites, you can check for these best on the belly, around the eyes, mouth etc and in the water bowl where they drown.

So a few possibilities but also as a perfectly normal part of the shedding process the eye caps do go cloudy and can dip or dimple.

(ahem janie, they are nocturnal, *whistles and slopes off somewhere safe).
JanieW Posted - 17/05/2012 : 12:13:58
Hi Mark,

Although it is said that Royals don't need white light, they are diurnal so it shouldn't do any harm, especially as you say he's feeding well which suggests not stressed.
Humidity is fine, you didn't give your temps but it sounds like the early signs of a shed. My Slinky's eyes go a little crinkly before going blue.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000